garlic question

trunkman

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Ok, I planted garlic cloves last summer, maybe July or so, they sprouted, grew a bit and the greenery died off and they went dormant and started to resprout this winter. Now I have about 6 to 8 new sprouts where I planted one clove last summer. The cloves never did develop full size bulbs but did develop a small bulb with several small cloves that are now growing like crazy. My question is will they ever develop one large bulb or am I just wasting my time?? I just pulled one up and all I had is a small clove at every sprouted top.. :idunno

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just to clarify- you won't get one large bulb... you will have a group of cloves making up the bulb. Our growing/planting schedules are not the same, so I not sure what you would expect at this point. I plant in the fall, and harvest in the summer.

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
trunkman said:
Ok, I planted garlic cloves last summer, maybe July or so, they sprouted, grew a bit and the greenery died off and they went dormant and started to resprout this winter. Now I have about 6 to 8 new sprouts where I planted one clove last summer. The cloves never did develop full size bulbs but did develop a small bulb with several small cloves that are now growing like crazy. My question is will they ever develop one large bulb or am I just wasting my time?? I just pulled one up and all I had is a small clove at every sprouted top.. :idunno
What type of garlic are you growing, is it Hardnecks, Softnecks, or Elephant?

If you are growing Elephant then there is a slight chance of getting a single bulb that is around the size of a baseball or better but if the garlic that you are growing is either Hard or Softnecks then you shouldn't get just one bulb but should get 10 or 12 cloves that make a bulb.

Chris

GPN

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Has it bloomed? I was told that if you plant in the spring harvest after the flower in the fall, or plant in the fall and wait til the bloom in the spring. Momma's comes up by itself in spring and then we wait til the late summer/fall to pullup.

GPN :)

Latest posts