Garlic Question

joz

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I planted a bunch of garlic in... November? I think. Maybe December. Anyway... they made leaves like I expected garlic would. Alternating sides, big oniony leaves.

But then, a week ago, they started doing this:

7993_gedc0093.jpg

My neighbor had scapes on his garlic last week, but I don't think that's what this is. This variety (Creole Burgundy) isn't supposed to make scapes. It's a poof of a bunch of roundish leaves, straight out of the middle.

What's going on? Are all the cloves throwing leaves at once? I'd not have thought I'd have cloves or a proper bulb yet. No, I haven't poked under the dirt to see what's going on... should I? They're mulched about 3"-4". Or is this just what they do? Some of them are throwing similar leaf bunches out the side, or adjacent to the main ... stem?

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've never raised that variety. Maybe that's what it does instead of making scapes? :idunno

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I get rounded leaves, seed heads usually follow.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
They sure look like scapes to me... I would cut them off. Since I have no patience-I would also dig one up and take a look at it!

joz

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I thought a garlic would only make one scape? This is like, 8 - 10 leaves. Poof! Pouf? Puff? I'll dig around the base of this one and see what's up.

joz

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
THEY ARE SCAPES! :weee

I didn't think I was going to get any.

So I found this awesome article: WTF, CSA?

Pickles, I think... for Bloody Marys. And a meal feature. Then I think I will have used them all up. :(

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
so, I obviously don't understand garlic. y'all are saying the stalk that grows up to be a beautiful "flower" is a "scape" & should be cut so the plant puts more energy into the bulb?
I thought the "flower" had to form, dry, and bend - then it was time to harvest the garlic.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've been taught to break off seed heads in garlic and onions so energy goes into bulb. So I do. May b wrong but I do.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
know what i am going to have on my steak tonight and mixed in with the hash browns in the morning.......yum :drool

you are correct seedcorn..

Latest posts