Garlic Question

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Never ate garlic this way. How do you cook it?

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
well the dw decided to switch dinner plans , we had hotdogs and waffle fries.

garlic scapes do have garlic taste with a onion flavor and very pungent....

here is a whole and cut picture of a garlic scape.

personally will take the stem and tips and cut into sticks or dice them and lightly saute them in butter with a couple capers and serve over a steak instead of onions.

for the bulbil part will chop fine and add to a potato....... raw

the garlic scapes is wonderful in..
cream of asparagus soup.
clam chowder
fish
meat
salad
eggs
ok they go great in everything that calls for onions, just delete the onion.
and yes very tasty eaten freshly cut..
if you have never cooked with them eat one and you will know that a little goes a long way......

best time to harvest scapes is when they have a curl in them, if you cut early theres a good chance they will produce a new scape.
i did cut a few early in a previous picture for reference.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Will have to try it. As of now, have way too mant starts so I'm using them as I thin.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Majorcatfish, that sounds yummy! I love garlic, never thought of using the scape stalks like that. I have used the flower head before and even put them in the freezer to use later. I'll have to try the scape stalks. Thanks for sharing!

Joz, enjoy your garlic. Some crusty French bread served up with garlic scape stalk chopped fine in melted butter...........where do you live?? I'll be there in about 5 hours! :lol:

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
if you are growing elephant garlic, snip off a leaf from a couple plants, and julianne them and you will have a great potato leek soup.

MeggsyGardenGirl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I was always taught to cut my scapes off when they curl, so I use them as if they were garlic or onion. I've had them minced raw salads, cooked with potatoes, in soups and with braised greens. Last year I had so many I pickled them and ended up with about 6 half pints. They were a hit when I served them as mini pickle spears with cheese and crackers as an appetizer. Gave some away as gifts as well. My nephew even used the pickling liquid in dressings, but he's a very resourceful cook. I found the flower burbils to be a little tough and didn't pickle those - just the stalks cut to length. The curls are a little hard to wrangle into half pint jars, but worth the effort.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
MeggsyGardenGirl said:
I was always taught to cut my scapes off when they curl, so I use them as if they were garlic or onion. I've had them minced raw salads, cooked with potatoes, in soups and with braised greens. Last year I had so many I pickled them and ended up with about 6 half pints. They were a hit when I served them as mini pickle spears with cheese and crackers as an appetizer. Gave some away as gifts as well. My nephew even used the pickling liquid in dressings, but he's a very resourceful cook. I found the flower burbils to be a little tough and didn't pickle those - just the stalks cut to length. The curls are a little hard to wrangle into half pint jars, but worth the effort.
How did you pickle them? What is your mix?

MeggsyGardenGirl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I can't take any credit for pickling garlic scapes - it was an idea I stumbled upon on the net and was grateful I did. The pickling solution was a pretty standard apple cider vinegar brine with dill seed and peppercorns; processed in half pints for 10 minutes in a water bath. I think almost any standard vinegar/salt pickle solution with spices of your choice would work just as well. In fact, I may try a half sour refrigerator pickle solution for some of the scapes this year just to see if there is a taste difference. It's worth the effort not to waste such a yummy surprise from garlic plants.

Latest posts