Garlic

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So I ordered a Warm Winter Sampler from Gourmet Garlic Gardens - these are supposed to do well in the south. I got an e-mail saying that my garlic has been harvested and "is being cured as nature permits and will be ready for shipment soon." How long does it take for garlic to cure? I've never grown garlic, so this is all new to me!

GardenWeasel

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Don't know curing time on the garlic but will be on pins and needles waiting for your results. I am in NW TN and the local gardeners here are pretty discouraging about getting a good crop. Keep us posted.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I usually let my garlic cure for about 2 months. I would imagine a commercial operation, would have perfect conditions and would be quicker? I am just about to go out and plant my garlic right now. In this zone, Columbus day is the traditional time to plant. The one thing that really does well in this climate is garlic! I harvested over 100 heads of it, and am going to plant about 100 cloves for next year....

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow Lesa, that is wonderful! I read my Louisiana planting guide and our planting dates for garlic are 10/1 - 11/30. I ordered it about 2 weeks ago, so if it does take 2 months to cure I can still plant.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Excellent! Keep us posted on your planting! Got mine in yesterday, right on schedule!

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I will! I have a new bed I've been working on - I'm just about finished and the soil is surprisingly good there, but I have compost ready to be added. I'll post pictures when I'm done.

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That is also my next thing to plant, I have two kinds of walking garlic a german red that I purchased, and a native one I harvested while out taking pics of nature.

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well, I got my garlic in today. I've been reading when I should plant and I'm confused! One website says, "The usual advice to gardeners is to plant fall garlic soon after the first major frost of the year." Really?!! If that's true, then I won't plant until January the way our weather has been so warm! Lesa, any advice?

Here is what I received:

Red Toch
Shilla
Maiskij
Ajo rojo
and one more I can't read.

popsgumdrop

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I have my garlic planted already. I planted it in pots. I've never grown garlic before, just got the bug one day and went out there and put it in. Just used some I had gotten at the grocery. Planted it too early too. Well, we'll see how it does. Looks good so far. I prepared a little patch to plant some more, then decided against it because I figured I'd see how the potted garlic does first. Need to put something else in that little patch like this weekend. Not sure what yet.

Latest posts