garlicmania

DDRanch

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
greycoop said:
I followed the same instructions except my instructions also included mulching with 4 inches of straw for the winter. I'm on 3 years of growing garlic here in the northeast. I plant every fall for late July harvest. I pull the straw off in the spring when the daffodils are 3 inches out of the ground. You're right pat it, it is easy and awesome to never have to buy garlic in the store again! They multiply unbelievable. I plant lettuce in between which makes a very pretty spring garden after a long cold NE winter.

BTW- new to the garden site today- hi everybody
Welcome Greycoop....glad you have found us.
Anne

krcote

Sprout
Reaction score
Hey all- new from BYC! Reading up on garlic before I put it in the ground this weekend. I'm from Southern Maine and thinking about planting around the edge, close to the fence of the garden as many have suggested. Will the plants be bothered up against wire fencing? I know that I'm a little late getting it in but I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

FarmerDenise

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
The garlic should be fine close to the fence. We've been growing garlic for many, many years, we have it coming up all over the place.
Garlic is a daylight sensitive plant and will be ready to harvest near the longest day. It is a good idea to remove the flower stalk that may come up in the spring in order for the plant to put its energy into growing bulbs not seeds.
We plant ours in November, after we have fertilized (with compost, chicken yard stuff and rabbit poop), watered and turned the soil a few times. We prefer to wait for at least one good rain to really drench the soil. Then we plant after it has dried out a bit. We are now at the waiting for it to dry a bit more stage. We will hopefully plant ours this week.

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Pat, 15 heads broken down into individual cloves is a lot of garlic to plant! I hope your family loves garlic..:)

I grow large amounts, and the benefit is there is good eating, and always lots left to plant again in the fall. I also have pretty good garlic sales at the Farmers market, for both eaters, and folks wanting some for planting themselves.

I mulch mine with straw in the fall, and plant it in good soil with plenty of compost added.

Latest posts