Gaspe flint corn

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
seedcorn said:
I have to ask, why flint corn? If growing popcorn, only choice is flint. For ground corn meal or feed, dent types are a much better choice as you will get more digestable nutrients. Flint corn is pretty much indigestable.
Well, because I can I guess. It's just a very small plot of it, it's history intrigued me and I also don't know a lot about the differences in corn, i.e. flint, dent...etc.
But I'm sure gonna learn! :)

StupidBird

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
How did that dwarf corn turn out? I just gotta know...

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
StupidBird said:
How did that dwarf corn turn out? I just gotta know...
Well, it did really well actually. Each stalk produced 2 and sometimes 3 ears. The ears were short of course, about 4" long, but decently filled out. I haven't done anything with it yet, I'll probably give it to the chickens, soaked and run through the blender and incorporated into their warm bedtime mash. I mostly planted it to play with and see how it performed.

It was awfully cute growing out there in the garden. That's a quality we all strive for in our corn growing endeavors isn't it? :p

StupidBird

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
So, I'm going to have to get some for the flower beds for fun. Would make a great gift.

StupidBird

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
$3.95 for 50 seeds, but $5.95 shipping...it's from Heritage Seeds, Canada. Where did you get yours, Thistlebloom?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I ordered from Heritage Harvest. I found my Paypal receipt which wasn't itemized, and was a little shocked at how much I spent there! Must've had seed fever. I have some left that I'd be happy to share, or if you'd like to try Orchard Baby I have some of that also. It's a sweet corn that is really small (from H.H. also ).

StupidBird

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Too Late! Already ordered the Gaspe corn, their purple podded pea, and a short, fat parsnip for clay soils. I have a friend here in Georgia that loves parsnips and introduced me to these delicious roots. I'm getting the dwarf, super early Gaspe as a sweet corn, just to win with the friends..."look here, my sweet corn is ready already!".

I'm thinking of planting it in a little block in the front garden, with the flowers, as a show-off thing. What would a good spacing be? Like standard sweet corn? Is the plant fat with lots of tillers? I know, I'm over-thinking this.

And yup, it's Heritage Harvest seeds. Didn't use paypal.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Howdy
I'm brand new to this forum. I found this forum because I was looking all over the whole world for Gaspe Flint Corn seed that would be available for a person in California to buy. I found a couple sources in Canada, but heritage harvest will not sell seeds or anything to anybody in the United States at all, and Assiniboine Tipi site in Canada can't sell seeds to Californians because of a certification requirement they don't have.

While I was Googling, (ha. computer things sure have funny words! Blog's sure a funny word, and free wifi!!! first time i saw that on a sign, I thought some husband wanted to give his wife away!), anyhow, while googling for any Gaspe Flint Corn seed, I kept on seeing this thistlebloom post and some replies from 2010, and it says you're in Idaho.

So I went ahead and signed up for this forum. Took me a couple or 3 tries with their test question. the answer was seed with a small s, not Seed with a big s

Did your crop of gaspe flint corn do well? Did you save any seed from it? If you did, can I buy or trade some bean seeds for some?

I don't have any automatic quote to put at the bottom like everyone else. I'll think of one if i can...

What was it Ben Franklin said about Oats and quality?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi Marshallsmyth :frow and welcome! To answer your question, yes it did do well, the stalks all had at least 2 ears apiece, some more than that. It only gets about 3-ish feet tall. I'm not sure why you were told HH doesn't ship to the states, that's where I got mine, along with several other seeds :hu . But anyway I'd be happy to share some seed with you, it's last years and I don't remember how much I have, but you can PM me with your address and I'll get them out this week.

Latest posts