General Contractor ?

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
And yet. . .
He may have had credentials in the past, may have worked for someone with the proper credentials, or in these economic hard times he may have let his credentials lapse. You're right to question his business methods since a worker's accident on your property or a problem with the permits and you could have had some serious problems.

But the work was done. Now that the work is completed, if you are satisfied with the finished product shouldn't his workers should get something for their labors? IMHO
Nope ! This guy was from Mexico and never had a contractor's license and never worked for a General Contractor before, just did odd jobs . His workers were illegals too . :rant

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
And @bobm does his part to contribute to the illegal alien border invasion by thoughtfully providing jobs for them............

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

WAY TO GO BOB!!!!! :thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
There are big differences in construction rules throughout the country. Especially in the East, rules are more stringent -- probably for good reason.

Bobm may have helped stem the invasion more than you think to send them packing with big fines and no funds.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow Bob, good for you. Most states have very poor laws for protecting homeowners. You should have the work inspected and get a permit. He may have not done the work properly. I hope the Building inspector does not make you take it down. You broke the first rule of hiring a contractor, though.Taking advice from a friend. We did a kitchen 30 years ago with a licensed company. The work was well done but every time the worker came to work, he asked for a last check. They did ask for money a little too quickly along the way. They wanted a big check before the cabinets were delivered and I told them after they were on the premises they would get the big check. They were slow in doing the last of the work and the check reques still kept coming. And they only asked me for it when my husband was not at home. I finally said politely but sternly that they would get it when the last nail was nailed. They would never have come back to finish the little stuff. I was young at the time. I do not know where I got the good sense to be sure I got my moneys worth.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Several years ago I had a conversation with a couple who were having a house built here on the border. They were oldsters but hadn't been together very long. These folks had a friend who would be the contractor.

I said that it is kind of risking a friendship to have a person like that handling such an important job. The lady says, "oh, he knows what he's doing."

"So, you have this all worked out on paper so that he knows what you want?"

"No," she says, "my ex-husband was a contractor in California for years and he never had a contract."

I wonder if she knew how foolish that sounded.

A contractless contractor in the state that gets all the heavy criticism for government interference with business. Right up to retirement age evidently.

Steve

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
And @bobm does his part to contribute to the illegal alien border invasion by thoughtfully providing jobs for them............

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

WAY TO GO BOB!!!!! :thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup
Well Bay ... I personally know what it takes to become a LEGAL IMMIGRANT and becoming a US citizen as I AM ONE . :frow We only had the shirts on our backs when we arrived to the U.S. in 1949 and worked hard to earn a living working at any menial job that we could get and studying to first learn English in the school of hard knocks and earn the U.S. CITIZENSHIP. I have V O T E D in every primary election and election since I was 21. :ep Amnesty for A L L ILLEGAL ALIENS BE D A M N E D and I DO NOT condone it. :he I do not and will not knowingly contribute to provide employment to an illegal alien. :rant I now live in Washington State ( I found out about this guy from a Real Estate Broker / Company owner that recommended him to me ( I found out later after the job was done) , this guy was born in Mexico but came here as a child and was a US citizen and spoke very good English. He L I E D to me in every conversation and letter. :somad :rant I didn't know that the workers that he had were illegals at the time either. :duc Our lawyer :celebrate is handling the hiring of a licensed , bonded/ and insured General Contractor :woot for getting the building permit and inspections to make sure that the work was done to code and is safe. :old

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I knew that would go over like a turd in a punch bowl with you!!

sometimes I am a stinker aren't I

Latest posts