General Contractor ?

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had to replace about a 1,000 sq. ft 2nd story deck on my ranch house in Cal. since our tenant almost fell through one of the deck boards due to dry rot. Well ... our daughter had a best friend in high school ( this friend was killed in a car accident a year after graduation whose father was a real Estate Broker and owner of his own RE Company. Our daughter remained friends with the parents. Well, this broker recommended a person that does repair and maintainence work on most of his company's listings and rentals. He said that this person did very good work and was honest, licensed, etc. . Well, we agreed to use him, since he told me over the phone that he was licensed, bonded, insured, and had workman's comp. insurance. He then wanted to be paid up front . I told him that a contractor can only get paid 10% of the contracted amount. I agreed to pay for all of the materials and I did with a credit card. He then sent a so called " contract" that no sane person would sign, right after he tore off the second story deck and had about half of the work done. I sent it back to him with numerous revisions on it and told him to send me one that was acceptable to sign together with photocopies of his Contractor's license number, workman's comp,liability insurance number, copy of county building permit , and I included a W-9 form . He called back and said that he had 90% of the work done and needed to be paid in full to pay his crew. Note that he still did't send the revised " contract". I told him to finish the deck as it would take him about 3 hours to finish, send me the new contract , a filled out and signed and dated IRS form W-9 ( which I provided to him so that I could issue it to the IRS and I could then depreciate the deck repair on my tax return) and he would be paid. Well, he called again and said the work was done and he wanted his money, to which I replieed that I needed the contract and the rest of the paperwork. He did NOT send anything, so I sent him a certified letter, no reply other than another demand to be paid. THREE more certified letters over a month's period of time yielded NO paperwork. So I called the California State Contractor License Board and found that he was NOT licensed. He did NOT get a building permit, he did NOT have workman's comp, He did NOT have insurance. So, I put in a complaint with the CSLB , who then did a research on this matter and yesterday I received a letter from the CSLB stating that they are fining him $ 750 for contracting without a Contractor's license and another $3000 for not having a workmans' comp. insurance. If he doesn't pay the fines they will send it to collections and to the District Attorney for prosecution. So, how good are recomendations by family, friends , or neighbors really worth ? :hu

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
DH is a licensed Painting Contractor so I know....Hahaha to the double dumb jerk that your "contractor" is...Idiot.

Last year I was browsing thru Frogville, a FB buy and sell group in our area. I suddenly saw pics of our old cabin kitchen, which we sold to my brother in 2005. This fella was saying he was a licensed plumber (he lost his lic a few years ago) and had taken up remodeling and look at these pics of what he did. Ummm - nope. DH and I did that work in 2000. Idiot. I took screen shots of the posting and several replies from ppl who were interested in hiring him, and mailed them right off to the CA state Contractor License Board. Always wondered if they followed up.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
We had to use a licensed contractor for the repairs to the HUD repo we bought. He had to send copies of his license and paperwork to the lender and sign all sorts of paper works to satisfy them. But when I was searching for repairmen and companies to do the work, many of them had their license right on their websites. Very up front about it and no wishy-washy stuff.

So.....about that friend recommendation........sorta like hiring kinfolks...... buyer beware.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
So, how good are recomendations by family, friends , or neighbors really worth ?

It depends on the person doing the recommendation and why they recommend them. Is it someone that has actually done that kind of work for them or was it a totally different kind of job? Why did they like them. Was it the quality of the work, was it that they showed up on time and got the job done, did he look good in tight jeans, was he cheap, or did they share political views?

Did they recommend a fellow a church member (I've had those recommendations a few times), a relative, or was it a recommendation from someone else? Did they even know the guy or his work?

I like to get recommendations from people I trust ands I don't always do all the background checks I should, like looking at their license. Sometimes I get good people and sometimes I get people I will never allow to set foot here again. I don't always go for the cheapest either.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Rea
It depends on the person doing the recommendation and why they recommend them. Is it someone that has actually done that kind of work for them or was it a totally different kind of job? Why did they like them. Was it the quality of the work, was it that they showed up on time and got the job done, did he look good in tight jeans, was he cheap, or did they share political views?

Did they recommend a fellow a church member (I've had those recommendations a few times), a relative, or was it a recommendation from someone else? Did they even know the guy or his work?

I like to get recommendations from people I trust ands I don't always do all the background checks I should, like lookin, but g at their license. Sometimes I get good people and sometimes I get people I will never allow to set foot here again. I don't always go for the cheapest either.[/QUOTE]
The person who made the recommended this "contractor" was a father of our daughter's best friend in high school ( killed in a car accident) , but also a Real Estate Broker and owner of a Real Estate company. He also used this person to do repair work for his properties as well as for clients. Then ...this mess that I got the short end of the stick on , as the broker never checked on this person's General Contractor's License. :he

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Are you going to let the real estate broker know that his recommended guy is a loser?
We have run into issues like this before, but not on that scale. Good that you knew what to do.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yup... and he be gone from doing any more "work " ! More likely than not the he is at the welfare office line . :duc

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
And yet. . .

He may have had credentials in the past, may have worked for someone with the proper credentials, or in these economic hard times he may have let his credentials lapse. You're right to question his business methods since a worker's accident on your property or a problem with the permits and you could have had some serious problems.

But the work was done. Now that the work is completed, if you are satisfied with the finished product shouldn't his workers should get something for their labors? IMHO

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
this guy shouldn't have started any work until he had a contract in place and satisfied the person paying for him to do the job.

Latest posts