Georgia

sunflowerMK

Sprout
Reaction score
Hi
I am from Candler Co and we have 18 acres we purchased last July and we are trying to learn what to grow here in GA. Moved here from CA.
Ann if you like country come this way. Metter is a small town with the nicest people. We are 10 miles west of Metter in the country & we love it.
I raise bait/composting worms, have a small flock (14) of laying hens, and plan on growing & selling some veggies this summer.
Anyone in my area?
MaryKay
SE GA

kinnip

Sprout
Reaction score
I'm in Carrollton. We have some of the richest, darkest soil I've ever seen, but you can't spit without hitting a 2-3 pound rock! I've been contemplating renting a tiller from the Home Depot. The hope being that I can till up the rocks, except those that break up and give me granite dust. Is that fantasy or what? My fear is that I'll make it about eight feet before the blades are useless, then I have to pay the Home Despot a fee that would have bought me a tiller. :/

1acrefarm

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
The first week of april is looking good for some much needed rain in many parts of GA.:)

Okapis Rule

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm from Buckhead, (the old buckhead, not the Atlanta Buckhead,) near Madison.

P.S. good ol' clay until it rains. Then it's bad ol' mud!

pixiechic

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hiya! Rural Cherokee County here, about 30 min north of the city. I've lived in this area for 9 years and like it a lot.

I've farmed in VT (rocks) and gardened in MA (nice dark brown soil) in the past, and never seen anything as tough as the red clay here. I've made a few halfhearted attempts at gardening in the South, with disappointing results (tomatoes demolished by army worms, raspberry bushes shriveled due to drought, sad herbs) but this year I hope to get more serious about it, with the help of my 13 chickens and my wonderful DH.

Latest posts