Get with the program.....

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yup, you have been busy!

:th:th:th

Oh, did I mention I have NO bed to sleep on? Dad was able to carve me a tiny space open in her sewing room. It had been piled high to the ceiling with sewing projects & supplies. She did many many crafts and had one of those huge expensive embroidery machines. It took my sister 6 weeks to find the floor.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
WELCOME TO THE SOUTH FACTS:
1. A possum is a flat animal that sleeps in the middle of the road.
2. There are 5,000 types of snakes and 4,998 of them live in the South.
3. There are 10,000 types of spiders. All 10,000 of them live in the South, plus a couple no one's seen before.
4. If it grows, it'll stick ya. If it crawls, it'll bite cha.
5. "Onced" and "Twiced" are words.
6. "Jawl-P?" means, Did you all go to the bathroom?
7. People actually grow, eat and like okra and collards.
8. "Fixinto" is one word. It means "I'm going to do that".
9. There is no such thing as lunch. There is only dinner and then there's supper.
10. Iced tea is appropriate for all meals and you start drinking it when you're two. We do like a little tea with our sugar. It is referred to as the Wine of the South.
11. "Backwards and forwards" means I know everything about you.
12. The word "jeet" is actually a question meaning, 'Did you eat?'
13. You don't have to wear a watch, because it doesn't matter what time it is, you work until you're done or it's too dark to see.
14. You don't PUSH buttons, you MASH em.
15. "Ya'll" is mostly singular. "All ya'll" is always plural.
16. All the festivals across the state are named after a fruit, vegetable, grain, insect, or animal.
17. You carry jumper cables in your car - for your OWN car.
18. You only own five spices: salt, pepper, mustard, tabasco and ketchup.
19. The local papers cover national and international news on one page, but require 6 pages for local high school sports, the motor sports, and gossip.
20. Everyone you meet is a: Darlin', Honey, Sugar, Baby, or Miss (first name) or Mr. (first name).
21. You think that the first day of deer season is a national holiday.
22. You know what a hissy fit is..
23. Fried catfish is the other white meat.
24. We don't need no Driver's Ed. If our Mama says we can drive, we can drive!!!
25. NEVER dispute or say anything bad about Mama!
(I LOVE BEING SOUTHERN! COULDN'T IMAGINE IT ANY OTHER WAY!)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The local papers cover national and international news on one page, but require 6 pages for local high school sports, the motor sports, and gossip.
I enjoy reading Google archive newspapers from years ago.

Sometimes that is research on family members, like information on my Great Uncle's high school graduation, from right about the year 1900. About the same time was a story on a homestead lottery and my Great Grandfather among others gaining allotments. (An open question was why he didn't decide to "prove up" on that land.)

Today, I was just reading a newspaper from January 1, 1920 and what its editorial board thought of the previous year and the prospects for the future, including advice for President Wilson (on his "high horse").

Anyway, other than these historically significant stories ;), the papers are FULL of all sorts of other stuff. What the students are doing in their classes, who has visitors. Even, who stopped by at someone's house for a cup of tea on a Sunday after church :). Love it!

Steve

Latest posts