Getting Ready For Spring - 2 down 9 to go!

lupinfarm

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I found a bunch of 2 by rough sawn pine down in my barn so this year I've begun making raised beds for the garden rather than taking another stab at plot gardening. Weeds seem to congregate on our property, so the use of raised beds and a lot of elbow grease should decrease the weed load we get.

I have 11 raised beds to put together this year, and we're planting some basics this year rather than going all out.

The Seed List

Tendergreen Beans
Golden Wax Beans
Provider Beans
Homesteader Peas
Romaine Lettuce
Carrots (not sure on variety yet)
Tomatoes (Mainly Roma's)

We will also be putting in

Potatoes in buckets
Grapes (not sure on variety yet)
Raspberries (not sure on variety yet)

And the start of my raised bed making escapade, I'm pretty proud of my use of "hangin' around lumber" and old baseboard from our house for the corners!

One of our 2 pea beds, they are both 2ft x 10ft and made from 2x6 rough cut pine.

raisedbed_peas.jpg

One of my tomato beds, they are 4ft by 4ft and made from 2x10 rough cut pine. I'll have 3 of these.

raisedbed_frame_tomato.jpg

And that same bed above, covered in plastic on the poly-tunnel frame. I'll probably be using these to put some of my starters out under during the day for the time being, but I also need the cover on to mix up and keep my soil from freezing!

IMG_03341.jpg

Note: All these beds will be painted with either a deep chocolate brown or black paint either before I plant them out or at the end of the season.

2 down, only 9 more beds to go!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
So far they are looking great! Raised beds take a load off in the weed department.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good for you- getting all that going, with snow still on the ground!! I can tell you are itching for spring!! Looks great, can't wait to see the pics when you've got it growing. Enjoy!

Latest posts