Getting Real Close to Buying Cow Prod.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
The last time I spent overnight at my sis's place, I couldn't even sleep because the sheets and pillow cases smelled so strongly of "fresh scent" of an unidentifiable nature. I couldn't tell her what the problem was. It just seemed so ungrateful or ungracious or something. o_O After she went out of her way to make the guest room pleasant....

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is the version I make...Mom's Super Laundry Sauce. Comes out around $2 a batch for ~128 loads of laundry. I like to add about 20 drops of lavender EO before I whip it. I use my stick blender. They said to use the canning jars directly on your regular blender, but it sucked up the gasket and chewed it up on mine, so I don't recommend that part when I pass this recipe on. Stick blender in a large glass pot or bowl works so much better.

I am allergic to fabric softener and most artifically scented detergents. It gives me a rash, but this homemade detergent doesn't bother my skin at all. Fels Naphtha gets all the stains out too. Rarely do I have to spot treat anything.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
The last time I spent overnight at my sis's place, I couldn't even sleep because the sheets and pillow cases smelled so strongly of "fresh scent" of an unidentifiable nature. I couldn't tell her what the problem was. It just seemed so ungrateful or ungracious or something. o_O After she went out of her way to make the guest room pleasant....
As the years pass I find more and more scents make me miserable. Hand sanitizers, colognes, air fresheners, scented candles. Al then to give me a head ache at the least. Usually sneezing, coughing, itchy eyes and throat and some times it gets a bit hard to breath! Try explaining that to a bus load of elementary kids that want to pass the bottle of sanitizer or get on the buss doused in Mom or Dad cologne. No matter how often I ask them NOT to they always FORGET!

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Same here...I have a very sensitive snoz, so scents mean a lot to me. Over powering, chemical type scents of perfume, hair spray, room fresheners, etc. seem to be the most offensive. They seem to lodge in the back of my throat and I can taste them.... :sick

I knew I was really getting old when loud noises started to make me flinch...now I know why the older generation doesn't like the "loud" music of the younger generation. :D Even if I thought there were any movies worth putting in my brain case nowadays, the extremely loud noise of the movie in a theater is like an assault to the senses. All I can think of is torture of POWs with loud music.... :ep

I'll admit it...I'm just old. :old

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is the version I make...Mom's Super Laundry Sauce. Comes out around $2 a batch for ~128 loads of laundry. I like to add about 20 drops of lavender EO before I whip it. I use my stick blender. They said to use the canning jars directly on your regular blender, but it sucked up the gasket and chewed it up on mine, so I don't recommend that part when I pass this recipe on. Stick blender in a large glass pot or bowl works so much better.

I am allergic to fabric softener and most artifically scented detergents. It gives me a rash, but this homemade detergent doesn't bother my skin at all. Fels Naphtha gets all the stains out too. Rarely do I have to spot treat anything.

I use this recipe too. :) I just pour it into the blender, blend, and then pour it back out. :) One time I forgot to follow a step in the recipe and it turned out super grainy, but even grainy it was easy to use, and worked so well on my clothing! I love it.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Pretty much, but you'll need to adjust the amount you use in the wash. Can't remember the exact measurement for that...maybe a tablespoon or so? for each load.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've done the powder detergent too and I *think* it was the same ratio--a cup each of borax and washing soda per bar of Fels Naphtha--you can multiply that out to as big of a batch as you want. Just chop up the bar a bit, then pulverize in a food processor. It tends to be a drier bar of soap than other soaps and will crumble easily. Be careful not to inhale any dust from the ingredients. Working under the vent hood on your stove top is a good idea. I've never tried the gel version that you make up in a big bucket, but of the powder and the "sauce", I thought the latter dissolved better in cold water. If you have a front loading washer, any of these homemade detergents are great because they don't suds up.

My mom likes to use Zote soap instead. And I've done a baby version using Ivory soap too.

Latest posts