Getting Rid of Stuff

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Before we put down the new floor we need to do some major purging. One big obstacle has been an old upright piano that I have had for over 35 years. I know there is no value to them anymore, so I put a "free" ad on Facebook. I got the first inquiries in about 15 minutes, and the first person ended up taking it. Yay! It was a bear to move, though. Took three strong men and a couple of piano dollies.
Now I am getting rid of books and trinkets. Luckily, the local library is having a book sale the last week of this month, so a lot of them will be donated there.
It feels good to purge!:weee

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Glad for you. Now bottle that and sell me one so I can give to my wife. A boarder line hoarder....

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Glad for you. Now bottle that and sell me one so I can give to my wife. A boarder line hoarder....
I hear that! So is my husband. The big trick is going to be getting him to get rid of a bunch of his junk. Actually I think I will have better luck getting him to put up a steel building to put his treasures in. Now that we lost that giant tree, we suddenly have a large empty space in the yard.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Haha, just move. We downsized by 1,000 square feet. Even though we sold most of our oversized furniture to the man who bought our house, we still had too much crap to move. I barely had this house ready, we closed on our old house on a Wednesday and moved on Saturday. That included me running up to the new place and back twice, so no time to pack and discard stuff.

I need to purge stuff too, planning on it this winter! Anybody want some lamps? Drop leaf end tables? Curio cabinet.....that my husband is clutching with white knuckles......

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think we all have too much stuff. I know I do even though I have been going through closet and drawers for the last few years. Got rid of all my tupperware and have managed to keep my closet with very few clothes and shoes.

Yes, it feels great to get rid of stuff. I probably need to do more of it because when I die I know none of my kids are going to want my stuff! haha

Mary

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
For the past several years I've made a habit of getting rid of extra stuff or just not accumulating new stuff. I LOVE this way of living!

Feels like a weight off one's shoulders to get rid of stuff.

This winter we'll be going through totes full of family photos and purging them to their rightful owners or those people who volunteer to take on more stuff. Those that no one wants will hit the burn barrel. That will free up so much space in my closet that I don't plan on filling with more stuff...just nice, empty space.

I'll also be going through all the cupboards and purging food we will never eat.

Then it's the hall closet to purge blankets and pillows we don't need. I want to build some shelves in there to hold the remaining blankets, pillows and linens.

Purging has become a big part of my seasonal to do list, with each season involving a different area to clean out, organize and eliminate. Feels good. I'm hoping by doing so that we can keep life easier but also leave it nice for when we are gone, so no one will have any problems finding and eliminating our stuff, easily and quickly.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know that liberating feeling of tossing things.

;).

Those barely-useful-under-any-circumstances things ...

Steve

Latest posts