Getting Rid of Stuff

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm FINALLY getting rid of my 'renter' in a couple of weeks and then there's going to be a LOT of purging of junk out of my house!
I was just telling my sister that I was looking at the kitchen over the weekend and realized that once she takes her stuff, and I get rid of my stuff that she uses but I don't, I'm going to have several empty cabinets. WHOOT!

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yard sale?

I'm not good at selling things, or even giving them away.
  • "Don't want that? Yeah, I'm really embarrassed to have brought it out here ..."
  • "Don't want that? Shows what you know."
  • "Hey! :ep Where you going with my stuff!"
Steve

I'm even worse...if they won't buy it, I give it away, just to get rid of it. The last yard sale I had took me 2 full days and many helpers to move stuff outdoors, the sale was a 3 day sale and, in the end, a family came, bringing a flat bed and making two trips, to haul off items I gave away for free. Some of that stuff I had carried around for years and it had value, such as antiques and such, but there was NO WAY I was moving that stuff back inside.

I only made $1200 on that yard sale, everything at rock bottom pricing or free, but I was so very glad to get it all gone I would likely have PAID that much to have it taken off my hands. There comes a time when a person just needs to jettison that millstone around the neck and move freely about in this world.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
@baymule is right. A cross country move will do wonders for any hoarding tendencies. That is, if you do all the packing and moving yourself. I had a mental room full of stuff that meant too much to me to let go of.

It's amazing how I started jettisoning that stuff when the pile of absolute necessities made it clear there would be no room in the truck. A lot of the room in that truck was dh's work tools. We could make one trip only and rented one of the biggest Hertz trucks, towed a vehicle behind it that had all of our clothing inside and our bikes on a rack behind, and I followed in the pickup with all the dogs and cats crated in the back. Beverly hillbillies style, haha.
We had one rocker and a footstool for living room furniture when we moved in :lol:.

Since then, I have given away boxes and boxes of books that I brought and don't use enough to justify the space they use, and I love books, so that wasn't easy. But I could have been preemptive and given them away before moving them 1200 miles.

After 16 years we have built up a new collection of stuff :\. I plan on a brutal purge when my work season ends.

Last edited:

Latest posts