Getting tame

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
It just seems that deer are getting more and more tame every day. They just give me a casual glance and go back to browsing. Four of them in the yard today.:cool:

deer.jpg

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Wow.... not as skittish as they once were huh?

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
As long as you don't make a threatening move they seem just as interested in you, as you are with them. :cool:

We had mama and three little skunks walking up the driveway and I wonder where they went.:/

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If you have broccoli, they went to the buffet. I had one skunk this morning eating broccoli leaves and when I tried to shoo him out (from a distance) he sprayed my broccoli as to say, "This is mine now". So, it's officially his. :/

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'd be darned if I'd leave that plant for the skunk, Hangin'! He might be able to dig it out of a hole that I'd bury it in but if I caught him at it, I'd try to make Pep Le Pew pay a price for his rude thievery.

Deer overpopulation is reaching plague levels in some parts of the country. The results: damage to forest ecology, highway accidents, diseases within the herds . . . raiding yards and gardens is far down the list but seriously aggravating.

You know, my dear aunt used to make wonderful mincemeat out of venison. (. . . about like this!)

I can't think of what I would do with a skunk other than plant him.

Steve
guard your garden

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm glad it was just a broccoli plant this time. Last time he killed all my buff silkies. He has sprayed my little dog (who has a big attitude) 4 times in 2 months. One time she got sprayed was when I was going around to the grill and Butter saw it first and ran at it, well she got sprayed and the little bugger charged at me stamping the ground and growling. I really need a .22, but I never hit anything I try to shoot. I have a fox also, she's pretty and loves to chase my guineas. Sometimes I hope she wins, dang guineas love my garden too and ate all my young zucchini "experiments".

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am right off the main arterial in the city. By the looks of the fencing I have up, you would think I lived in the middle of nowhere. We have a creek running in the back of the property and there are tons of deer. After my first garden attempt, I realized the most important thing I could plant would be fence posts! I have about a 1/2 acre of wildflowers that I planted. I see the deer in there, but they don't eat much... They are a beautiful sight- but not in the garden! I am amazed at how the wild animals have adapted to civilization. Every now and then one will stand at the gate and just look at me- no fear at all!
Steve, did you make the green tomato mincemeat?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
No, Lesa! :lol:

More my style anyway . . . my shotgun and other gun are locked up and many miles away!

However, I've got 5 large tomatoes left! There are a few cherries in the greenhouse, still. Those 5 slicers have all ripened and there was never enuf green tomatoes for me to use once I'd found that recipe!

Steve :)

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
hangin'witthepeeps said:
If you have broccoli, they went to the buffet. I had one skunk this morning eating broccoli leaves and when I tried to shoo him out (from a distance) he sprayed my broccoli as to say, "This is mine now". So, it's officially his. :/
I never say never about any animal but it was much more likely the skunk was eating cabbage worms than the leaves. Skunks are basically insectivores with an occasional bird egg when they find one.
Skunks and dogs don't mix. Some dogs never learn their lesson. I had one once run after a skunk she had cornered and get it right in the face. As soon as she got over barfing darned if she didn't go right back and get it again.
Most skunks are very peaceable critters but it sounds as though you have an aggresive one. If it's going after the chicks it's time to get rid of it. I believe in live and let live but that goes both ways.