Getting tame

Warthog

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
The deer is so lovely, not too sure about the skunks though, I believe we have them here in Belize, but thankfully no encounters as yet.

Ariel301

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
When I lived in a large town a few years ago, I would actually see deer, foxes, and raccoons in town. There were some large vacant lots up the street from me and a small lake in a nearby park, so they felt right at home. I actually witnessed deer and foxes using crosswalks! They learned somehow that there was a safe place to cross the road, and I'd see some critter going through a particular crosswalk almost every morning as I walked to the bus stop. There were deer hanging out in the cemetery almost every night. They do adapt.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ariel301 said:
When I lived in a large town a few years ago, I would actually see deer, foxes, and raccoons in town. There were some large vacant lots up the street from me and a small lake in a nearby park, so they felt right at home. I actually witnessed deer and foxes using crosswalks! They learned somehow that there was a safe place to cross the road, and I'd see some critter going through a particular crosswalk almost every morning as I walked to the bus stop. There were deer hanging out in the cemetery almost every night. They do adapt.
I occasionally see possums and skunks at night right here in heavily populated San Diego. I'm sure there are also coons around close by.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
They are always worse in town than in the rural areas. I am surrounded by timber and farmland. They never touched my garden not once this summer...all the way up til late October, then they came and nibbled down my winter wheat. Now that hunting season is on here, they're not coming out much.

But at my mom's house in town, she can't have anything hardly, flowers, garden--heck no. They get into everything. They even come up on the porch at night and eat the catfood. You can hear their hooves clickedy-click on the concrete. My mom's two chichuahuas nearly go into cardiac arrest barking at them. The deer aren't phased one bit.

They're like rats!!! You can't hunt them in city limits, so there's nothing to keep their population under control (except cars.) :p

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
We live only a half mile or so from the city limits and we have Canada geese by the thousands, crows, fox, coyote, deer, skunks, woodchuck, and only a week ago a bob cat ran in front of my car while going through the golf course. Wildlife is adapting, for sure.:/ They must be thinking: "if you can't beat them, join them".:lol:

And, a few years ago we had a very large moose walk right down the street like he owned it, which at the time, he did!

Latest posts