Giant Cleome

ivan3

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I didn't find a shot anyone had yet posted of these, so I thought put one up: We found one growing along a stream several years ago and dug it up. We plant them every year as they grow well with little direct light (under hickories). If in full sun they will get about six feet tall. The one below is in a bucket (for seed collection this fall) and hasn't been up for much more than a month. I'd suggest not planting close to road as those I tried (around the Asters) were cut down before they bloomed (suspect someone thought they were something else).

GiantCleome0708.jpg

barefootgardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Great color! Aside from white and purple they also come in varying shades of pink. Enmassed they make a beautiful display. Cleome will very happily reseed itself year to year, so once you have it...you have it. I have a few growing but they are not very tall yet. Thanks for the picture, it's beautiful!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
ivan3 said:
I'd suggest not planting close to road as those I tried (around the Asters) were cut down before they bloomed (suspect someone thought they were something else).
LOL - wonder if there's someone out there smoking Cleome leaves, and if so, whether they are satisfied with the effects or not :)

Pat

ivan3

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Actually, I wish the County Road Dept. would get a hold of some of the real thing and auger into a ditch. This spring we decided to try Giant Cosmos around the Asters. They were doing well and along came the sprayers. Sans Asters/Cosmos. Of course the Poison Ivy/Oak, just shrugged it off. I've 8 ft. rebars driven into the ground next to our driveway at the road so the clowns can't cut - little did I know. Next year I'll have NO SPRAY signs out (92% of the folks living along this road voted to deny the county extra `easements' when they paved it - County has been p***y ever since).

So Long Asters, you made it 8 yrs!
RoyalFarewell092907.jpg

Latest posts