Giant Figs!! Recipe post 9!!

weonlycut

Sprout
Reaction score
Fabulous work done by you. May i have some of the jam on my bread????? Its looking really delicious. :p

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
weonlycut said:
Fabulous work done by you. May i have some of the jam on my bread????? Its looking really delicious. :p
It is delicious! I have picked every fig on that tree that I could get! The birds worked it over, the squirrels had tasty treats and the deer munched on them too. :lol: I have bags of chopped figs in the freezer to make more preserves later. I picked every day trying to beat the animals to them :gig A fig tree should be a standard tree in every yard. :thumbsup

jomoncon

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have a Black Jack fig tree that also produces enormous figs!!
Chickens-2011_07_25-138.jpg

Since it's still a young tree, I only get 3-4 ripe figs a day. I give them a washing, quarter them, put them in a zip lock bag & throw them in the freezer. When I have enough, I make the fig jam as my mother taught me, and her mother taught her: Chop the figs, add a sliced lemon, add sugar to taste, and cook until "right." My Mom & Grandma (Mamee), never did water bath theirs, they just inverted the hot figs in the jar & let them seal. Me, I do a water-bath for about 10 minutes.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
WOW Jomoncon! Those are fantastic! Is the Black Jack fig sweet? I ask because the figs I have been picking are big, but not a lot of sweetness. How they get so sticky and gooey is beyond me, when they don't have a lot of sweet taste. :lol: But I was tickled to death to get them. Your figs are awesome! :love How old is your tree?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
so lucky said:
I don't suppose fig trees would grow as far north as Missouri? :drool
I found this on e-how. Figs need protection from freezing......a really HUGE greenhouse maybe??? They get 6-10 feet tall and sprawl out like a weed taking over your garden ;) I suppose you could plant one on the south side of your home or barn, build frame work over it and wrap it good in plastic and run a small electric heater to it. Then dress it in flannel pajamas and read it a story every night. :lol:

How Can I Protect My Fig Tree From Freezing?

Figs require extra attention to make it through the winter.

It is possible to grow edible figs in northern climates, but the cold weather is not something fig trees are used to enduring. Protecting fig trees from freezing temperatures is important, because the plant is semi-tropical. Shielding fig trees from the cold in any way possible will result in a long-lived tree that will produce abundant figs for years.

Tree Wrap and Mulch

When trees are small, you can wrap them in polyester frost blankets to protect them from frost damage. This is simply impractical for adult trees, but young trees that are planted in the ground will benefit from it. Lay a few inches of insulating mulch around the base of the tree to protect the roots from freezing. Be sure to remove the tree wrap once the weather begins to warm.

Dormancy

Four Winds Growers recommends withholding water from your fig in the early fall to facilitate dormancy and allow the plant better protection during the winter. According to Four Winds, a fully dormant fig tree can survive temperatures as low as 10 degrees Fahrenheit. Be sure to mulch around the base of a dormant tree to provide that extra warmth. It also helps to locate a tree next to a south-facing wall that retains heat during the day and radiates heat to the tree.

jomoncon

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
baymule said:
WOW Jomoncon! Those are fantastic! Is the Black Jack fig sweet? I ask because the figs I have been picking are big, but not a lot of sweetness. How they get so sticky and gooey is beyond me, when they don't have a lot of sweet taste. :lol: But I was tickled to death to get them. Your figs are awesome! :love How old is your tree?
My Black Jack figs are not really that sweet, although this year it could be because we've had a lot of rain. I remember them being sweeter last year. My little tree is only 3 years old. I purchased this variety since it supposed to be genetically smaller. I had no idea the figs would be so large. Since then, I've purchased the empty lot next door to mine, so I now have a lot more room. I'm planning on getting another fig tree, probably a celeste.
Jo-Ann

Latest posts