Giant Figs!! Recipe post 9!!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I went to see my Mom and saw her neighbor's fig tree. On closer inspection, it had the biggest figs I have ever seen in my life. The neighbor was outside and I politely asked if I could take a cutting of the fig tree after it quit bearing. I was in awe of the enormous figs and I wanted a cutting real bad. He told me take all the cuttings I wanted and I said I would wait until it stopped bearing as I didn't want to mess up his harvest. I was thrilled! :weee I told him my grandmother used to make strawberry fig fig preserves and I would love to make them again.

The next day, Mom's neighbor surprised me with a bag of figs and a box of strawberry jello. He told me take all the figs I wanted, just give him a jar of preserves. I thanked him profusely. I kinda figgured his wife probably flat refused to make fig preserves, her loss, my gain!

So yesterday, I made stawberry jello fig preserves. I went on Cooks.com and found several likely recipes and selected one. I carefully peeled them although I don't remember my grandmother peeling hers. I cooked, jared and breathlessly waited for a bowl that wouldn't make a full jar to cool. Mmmmmm...........SYRUP! They didn't gell. Oh well, I made cornmeal buttermilk pancakes with bacon last night and we topped the pancakes with strawberry fig syrup! Darn! That was good!! :love I got 7 jars yesterday and set aside 1 for the neighbor and 1 for a friend of DH's that is always giving us his salsa and peas.

Today I picked figs and chose a different recipe, and no, I darn sure didn't peel them! I got 5 jars and set aside 1 for Mr. Neighbor Man. :lol: Here are some pics, can anybody tell me what kind of fig tree makes such gi-normous figs?

7949_big_fig.jpg

Bowl of Figs

7949_bowl_of_figs.jpg

Fig Syrup!

7949_fig_preserves.jpg

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Looks great! :drool Did the second batch jell? Some jams take longer to set. (It may thicken yet.)

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That is beautiful. Last year I found one of my friends had figs on his new rental property and asked permission to pick some. I had never made fig jam or anything and I cut them up with a handful of fresh cherries, added the sugar and when they cooked down I put my emersion blender in. It was so yummy and the cherries had the pectin to make a real good gel.

I'm going to check the bushes tonight and see if they are ready this year. I'll have to give him a few jars, but well worth it!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
WHOO-HOO!!!!!!!!!! :weee Batch #2 gelled!!!!!!! :weee :ya hooray! In the morning we're gonna have eggs and toast slathered in strawberry fig preserves!! :clap

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
diggerthechickenman said:
i have 2 GIANT fig trees and they have these big figs i would love to have that recipe for the strawberry fig preserves (hint) ;)
Anything for my friend!! :rainbow-sun

6 cups figs-mashed
6 cups sugar
1 cup water
3 (3) oz strawberry jello
1 box sure jell

Boil figs, sugar and water for 30 minutes.
Add jello and sure jell and boil 2 minutes longer.
Pack in hot sterile jars and cap lids on.
I got 5 pint jars plus a little bit I put in a plastic dish and refigerated. ( I mean refRigerated lol)

The 1st recipe I used didn't call for sure jell and both recipes said to peel the figs. I was dumb anough to peel the 1st batch. :lol:
I didn't peel the 2nd batch and we had some on toast this morning. :drool It was so good! Plus I don't remember my grandmother peeling her figs either. Good luck and be sure to come back and tell me how you liked your strawberry fig preserves!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Whoo-Hoo!!! I picked more figs yesterday and got only 4 cups of chopped mashed figs. So I added 2 cups of mashed blackberries and proceded with the above recipe. Instead of strawberry jello, I used blackberry jello. :drool I scraped and licked the pot I cooked 'em in. ;)

Latest posts