GIANT PUNKIN CONTEST 2013 all cucurbitaceae!

desertlady

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
MontyJ said:
Do not trim off the damaged leaves unless the stem is completely broken and the leaf is wilting. Even if the leaf is shredded, if it's still green, it's still making food for the plant.
thank you! I didnt bother it ! Its not looking too great. too much wind damaged here :( Winds blowing all the flowers off my tomatoes too! Our news station says tomorrow is the begining of our Monsoons. hope we get rain soon!

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the wind problem. Wind is the great enemy of the giant pumpkin plant. The leaves are so large they act like sails. I have had the wind roll over entire vines and tangle everything up. You can bury the vines under a few inches of soil to help hold them in place. There are a couple of added benefits to burying the vines. First, it gives vine borers fewer places to lay eggs. Second, the leaf and vine nodes will root if buried, giving the plant more root mass and also helping to anchor the plant down against the wind ;

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hahahaha....

I'm going to come back and submit the lossing picture of our pumpkins here in a few. Totally too funny to not share here. ;)

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh yea!

Smallest pumpkin contest too!!!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here's the first entry! What would it be grouped under? Weird?

Tromboncino. 37 1/2 inches long. 4 1/8 pounds

7949_tromboncino_big.jpg

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
dewdropsinwv said:
Sorry you lost the pumpkin Destert lady!!!! I know how depressing that can be. :(
Yeah, Dew has seen me loose them at 800 pounds. It's totally heartbreaking. Yet another reason I got out of it. You put days, weeks, hundreds of hours into raising it, only to see it turn birdbath and split the center out...600 squarefeet of wothless plant...Yeah, I've been there.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hay Bay! You have a long whopper there!

(Course. Texas. Where Amarillo is about 7 states north of Austin. Lol!)

That's a good one...ummm, how about putting it in the

Moschata Class
Longest Division

Winner so far in that class and division;

Texas Bay Mule!

mmm, also, first ripe Cucurbitaceae of 2013???

Latest posts