Gigantic green worm thing eating my tomatoes

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I used to have hornworms now and then.

One time, I found some damage on a few tomato plants that were growing on the edge of the garden. Along with the tomatoes, there were a couple of sunflowers. The sunflower seed was just beginning to ripen and they were being visited many times each day by chickadees.

Before I could get back to the tomatoes with some Bt caterpillar spray, the damage stopped :). I blamed the chickadees and later learned that they are major predators of caterpillars.

These days sunflowers are in my veggie garden every year. Haven't had any hornworm damage since I don't know when . . . :idunno

Steve

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Sunflowers with tomatoes, eh. Now wouldnt you know that is just what I have growing together..... :)

But I was always taught to just reach in and pluck the worms out of the foliage. It's a little intimidating at first, but you get used to it. If you have chickens, they love them. If not, toss the hornworms on the ground and make "boot-toe guacamole" out of them.

mediaOrganic

Sprout
Reaction score
Reinbeau said:
If any of them develop little white cocoons hanging on them, don't kill them, that's a parasitic wasp, once you have them, you'll have them forever - and never have much of a hornworm problem again.
This is true! Last summer I found the desicated husk of a hornworm covered with them. Must have been a horrible way to die but hey...

Ann - do you know what these wasps look like? We saw a bazillion tiny wasps on our basil and fennel and I wonder if it was them.

I hope they come back.

Phyllis

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
mediaOrganic said:
Ann - do you know what these wasps look like? We saw a bazillion tiny wasps on our basil and fennel and I wonder if it was them.

I hope they come back.

Phyllis
No I have no idea what they look like - I'll wander around google and see if anything comes up.

Ok, I'm back. From this article on the tomato hornworm you're lead to this page, but no picture. Ah! Found a picture here.

If this google search works, you can see all sorts of pictures here!

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
my mom would generously dust the plants with flour and the worms would eat the flour and bloat up and die. Works on broccoli too.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind hornworms so much if my bantams would eat them. They are picky bunch of bantams.

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Lucky for us we used sunflower hulls for bedding in our chick brooder, then dumped it in the garden...and now has sunflowers coming up all over in the garden! So, I think we will be covered for attracting bug eaters!

Latest posts