Ginger root

allabout

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Every once and a while I prepare a dish with fresh ginger root. I run to Wal-mart, pick up my root which is far more than I need. So I put the extra that is not used into the fridge, it's forgotten about and the next time I see it it has become a dried, shriveled up, hardly identifiable mass. Man what a waste. Have any of you ever taken your extra and planted it? Wouldn't it be nice to have fresh ginger root on hand when you need it? How cold hardy would it be? I would love your ideas!!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am completely useless on ginger root... it is beyond my growing ability. My thumb just recently starting changing from brown to a brown-green! LOL

I just wanted to bump this up so it doesn't go unread.

beavis

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I haven't actually grown it myself (yet), but I looked up how to grow it.

Ginger needs an annual rainfall of at least 45 inches, high temperatures and a short dry season for part of the year. The soil should be rich, moisture retentive and free draining. It is essential that the ground is not compacted and all debris removed otherwise the rhizomes become deformed.

In the humid tropics, ginger can be planted anytime.

Younger tender rhizomes are harvested for immediate use, they become more pungent and fibrous with age.

Harvesting can begin from 7 months after planting. Rhizomes for drying should be lifted about 9-10 months after planting.

Fresh root can be stored in the refrigerator for several weeks wrapped in paper towels or a container that allows it to breathe.

Hope that helps....

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh i've grown ginger plenty of times, it seems rather easy to grow. I plant them around spring, about 3 to 4 months their ready to be harvested. Trust me ginger wont dissapoint you in the garden.

Zenbirder

Sprout
Reaction score
We grow ginger in the greenhouse in pots. It does not like any cold temperatures. I just go dig up a piece when I want some year round. It is a no care, no fuss greenhouse plant.

allabout

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Wonderful!!! This will be fun to do with my children too- I'll let them help me prepare a dish using the ginger and then let them help me plant in in a pot and watch it grow!! Thanks, this will be a fun project.

lavacaw

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I generally leave mine in a plastic bag on the counter until it starts sprouting some and then plant it. It would probably do well in a brightly lit window in a big pot. If the soil is loose, it is very easy to reach down and pull up a "chunk" of fresh ginger root, stem and all. Cut off the stem and pitch it. Fresh young ginger tastes soooo much better than the old stuff you buy at the grocery. Good luck with it.:thumbsup

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It grows quite easily as a houseplant if you buy ginger that is about to sprout anyways. Sometimes it grows very long and gangly and spindly-leaved, sometimes much more compact and rounder-leaved, I dunno if it's different varieties or what.

I have never had potted ginger plants produce much in the way of excess root growth that could be used for cooking, though. And the one time I've tried planting it in the ground was an abject failure, although this may be b/c it was in OH in not exorbitantly watered clay soil (sandy humusy well-watered soil in a HOT climate might well do better).

It freezes well, from the perspective of not wasting what you buy at the grocery store.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi there :happy_flower
Everyones' advice about growing ginger is correct -- I plant it in a pot & grow it on my window sill. I put the pot outside in the warmest part of the summer. :coolsun

When I had my restaurant I had a Japanese lady working for me & as they use ginger all the time I asked her how to keep it (I used to keep it in the fridge). She said never to do that as the ginger hated it & would shrivel up --which of course it did. :barnie From then I have kept it out in the fruit bowl & that reminds me to use it more often. A Chinese friend told me she slices it up & keeps it in a jar of sherry & uses both in her dishes. Both ladies are mad keen cooks. :ya

It makes a wonderful tea ( grated & infused with a little honey) especially if you suffer from travel sickness or are pregnant & have morning sickness. I also put chunks of it into the stock when I boil ham/bacon along with a branch of rosemary & a couple of bay leaves or myrtle, veggies etc. :thumbsup VERY TASTY!! :D

Enjoy your gardening & your cooking. BYE for now :frow
:rose Hattie :rose

Latest posts