Giving Fire Ants the Cold Shoulder

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The forecast here for the next 2 weeks is cold, cold and more cold. Highs in the low 40's and lows in the 20's and teens. It has been a few years since we have had that kind of extended cold in this neck of the woods. So, what can I do outside? Why go out there about dusk and dig up fire ant mounds of course. The cold has them a bit lethargic and slow, so hopefully no fire ant dancing will be done by me. The freezing temps overnight will take care of a lot of them, including the queen assuming I can dig her up. Anybody else ever tried this?

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow.......never thought about doing that, but sounds like it aught to work. Gonna give it a go as the temps, here, are supposed to be in the mid to low 20's for the next several nights (very unusual for our area). One thing's certain....it sure can't hurt anything to try it.

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Just got done diggin and spreading several beds. Used the hole diggers. It's already cold out and the temps dropping fast......hope this works, then all I have to do is fill in some pretty large and deep holes. LOL

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I did three mounds... the chickens actually helped spread as I dug. It reminded me of kids at the beach because they would run away when I tossed a shovel full and then run back to scratch around in it as they got a bit braver.

I did this several years ago with a few mounds close to my house and it seemed to work. Of course fire ants will move. So I either eradicated a few mounds or served eviction notices on them. Time will tell I suppose and as you said, it can't hurt to try. :)

Latest posts