Giving up the bunnies

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well, I have raised them for a year now. I had three females and one male. I raised a lot of babies but it is time to part ways. I raised them for meat production and as manure as a by product. But the meat production is not easy and I can definitely live without it (and besides my weannie Hubby won't help do in a helpless little bunny). I am sad to go but with the full time job, the three kids, the garden, and the ducks I just can't do it. they were awesome did wonders for my soil. But hey..... I did it now I just don't want to do it. Now I need to look for another source of poop. Because the poop is something I just can't live without... :D

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow,

Well I do hope there is some kind of 'livestock' show or sale near you; it would be a shame that these guys cannot carry on or at least be 'honorably mentioned' on a platter somewhere. Sounds like the perfect 'instant' farm to me. Then maybe you will get some part of the effort back.

I think you should hang on to the bunnies, how much aggravation do they cost you? It is just 3 of them?

Well, I respect your wishes, it was a learned lesson and I do understand because I am the only one in my household that cares for, cleans, feeds, and is consistent, with all my critters. Every new mouth is more thought every day, more effort every day, and there are no 'days off'.

Bigg Huggs over this one! :frow

Ron

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh, I forgot,

How much for the Lot?

And, how much was the Hubby and the kids ? LOL

I mean, you might as well clean house too! LOL j/k :lol:

(sorry, trying to make humor out of a bit of sad news)

Ron

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I hear you on raising them for meat and then not having the guts to do them in. My two are house bunnies that I got from the SPCA and have been wonderful pets. But I thought about getting a set of meat rabbits b/c it would be easier than raising hogs or cattle and better on the environment.

I can't do it either. I wouldn't even be able to process my own chickens. Oh well. I suppose if I was forced to be totally self sufficient, I'd be a vegetarian.

BTW, many horse stables are willing to give their poop away...sometimes it is already composted.

Good Luck!

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi again,

You know, just my thoughts, but the way I see it there is a level of "intelligence" that we all have to deal with; this might have some merit.

I think that if someone wanted to get involved with a great source of daily protein for their families that quail or squab is the ticket. The space needed is reasonable, the feed is semi-reasonable (depending on source), and the production is high!

With one pair of Kings (lrg white pigeon for squab) you can achieve 2 squab every 4 weeks. A pigeon can live 15 years or more.

With the quail you would have to use an incubator for continued hatchings.

Both of these birds above are more on the 'reaction' or 'instinct' mode of thought. They are not reasoning out their world. The handling has no emotions and your intent is strictly their health! Cool relationship. Awesome meat.

I know barnyard animals can really dig in deep 'emotionally' if you let them; they are after all, working you for feed and rationalizing their worlds. :bee

When and if I own my own home I will do squab, it is not a bird for a tenant even for rural. Quail is a thought, but the supporting equipment would be a costly start-up. I would consider it though and always will think about it.

Ron

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My sister and I processed our meat birds in the spring. I had no problem cleaning them, but was left a little queasy on the "off with their head" part, but it did get easier as we went. I wanted to try meat rabbits but sis wasn't having any part of it and I'm not real sure I could "do in a bunnie" either. A pigeon, yes - I guess maybe because they are not as cute and cuddly as a bunnie?

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I tried the Quail thing.
I made a incubator and hatcher, got eggs from folks at BYC and bought a ton of auto water parts and supplies.
By the way I need to sell some of!
Built breeder cages, a large cage, and one for the Button Quail.

I have a lot of project threads on BYC. I can't go there, I spend all day on there and get nothing done. Humm that is starting to happen here. :caf :pop
There is a video of them hatching over there somewere. I put a CCTV camera in the hatcher.

3 or 4 months lator I came to the conclusion, I don't have enough room for them. The cages were fine. But my place is so small...........

Here is a picture of some I prepared for Eby and myself.
Eby picked at it a little but thought about the cute little birds the whole time. I ate a lot of Quail, by myself!

100_6310.jpg

Latest posts