Giving Yourself A Christmas Present?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I gave a little money to a favorite not-for-profit, that's much like making a selfish decision with a family resource.

Renewed my National Geographic subscription. They say I've been a member since 1994, or something like that. It is really a lot longer than that. It was just that there was a "hitch" in the subscription along in there when Mom & Dad stopped buying it for me for Christmas. I just thought of a justification: I owe it to them to continue getting that magazine!

1. What US city was the western terminus for both the Pony Express and the first transcontinental railroad?
  2. Which landlocked South American country is bordered by both Chile and Brazil?
  3. What country with the world's largest area of arable land is also the largest producer of corn?

Did you know that stealing goods worth more than a shilling (about $50) could mean death by hanging in 19th century Great Britain? You don't have to answer that but it is true! Answers to the other questions are below.

Steve
who needs to remember that there are only two landlocked nations in South America and one of them does not border Chile!

sǝʇɐʇs pǝʇıun ˙3 'ɐıʌıןoq ˙2 'oʇuǝɯɐɹɔɐs ˙1

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Being married to the original Scrooge, I have to purchase my own Christmas present or go without. My memory (wives always remember) is that when dating we always had a 'fight' just before Christmas and made up right after. Even early in our marriage the holiday season was a time of fight/makeup. I realize it comes from DH's youth as a very poor child and don't hold the fighting against him. It is just part of who he is and the rest of the year he is giving and sharing.

This is the first year I didn't get anything for either of us. Family mostly got needed money and we tend to get what we want without waiting for a reason like Christmas or birthday. We both are hard to buy for. Our needs are few, our wants are fewer. And no one else in the family would ever think of something for the garden -- what? -- seeds? heat mat?, potting soil? that's about it until they pool their money for that conservatory.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is just local (KBOI, Boise starts things off).

Conan looks at things local but making BIG national news:

Steve

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We just went and picked up my Christmas present that i picked out for myself. But hubby paid, so i guess that doesnt count as "buying" it for myself. I'll post a picture soon, i know a few of you will love it...

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I did buy myself a present....my work watch, well, only watch, that I also wear for work, quit working. It may have only needed a new battery, but it was losing time and the second hand would advance three seconds and reverse two.
It's so hard to get a watch that I like and that has a comfortable band, so I did everybody a favor and got my own. :D

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
We're kind of to the point where we just get what we want/need along the way, but I still want a surprise under the tree. Just the kid in me, I guess. Sometimes my DH is very unimaginative. Well, most of the time. But I can usually count on a gift card at least. He doesn't usually like what I get him, but I keep trying. :hu

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think I get more excited about Christmas morning than the kids. Well, especially now that they are seasoned adults ;).
But even when they were little I'd wake up early and wait for them to get up, and wait... and finally just give up and get them up because I didn't want to wait any longer. Not so much because of my own gifts ( although I agree with you Lucky, I love a surprise )
but I can't wait to see everybody's happy face when they open their gifts. :)

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think I get more excited about Christmas morning than the kids. Well, especially now that they are seasoned adults ;).
But even when they were little I'd wake up early and wait for them to get up, and wait... and finally just give up and get them up because I didn't want to wait any longer. Not so much because of my own gifts ( although I agree with you Lucky, I love a surprise )
but I can't wait to see everybody's happy face when they open their gifts. :)
It's just all over so quickly, tho. Madness, then Ug! big clean up. The grandkids found out today that our family used to do the "gift by number/steal from someone else/get something else" game for Christmas. They did that at their church this year, and now want to do it as a family. I think that will be fun for next year.

Latest posts