gladiolias question

elijahboy

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
pls tell me if these multiply once in the ground

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don't know where you are located - but here in zone 4, I have to dig mine up in the fall. They do have "babies" attached to the original bulb- which you can replant.

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes they do. They get "thicker"... more growth from all the new corms. You can dig these up in the fall/early winter if you like and seperate to thin them out or to put more glads in another location. :)

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yep, I got quite a few babies off of mine when I dug them up last fall.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes they do get "babies" attached to the main bulb. If you get the bulbs in the ground early the "babies" attached will have more time to grow.

elijahboy

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
im in south carolina so i dont think i have to dig mine up as we dont have snow until 20 years have past

i just bought 20 bulbs and was hoping they would have babies so i wont have to buy anymore next year

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
elijahboy said:
im in south carolina so i dont think i have to dig mine up as we dont have snow until 20 years have past

i just bought 20 bulbs and was hoping they would have babies so i wont have to buy anymore next year
Yeah, I'm sure you won't have to dig yours. I've gotten away with not digging mine a few times that we've had a mild winter, but for me that's gambling. So glad I dug them last fall...they surely wouldn't have made it this time. :p

The old bulbs will bear again and the babies will bear flowers the next year. They'll just keep multiplying.

If you leave them in the ground, you will want to dig them up to divide them every couple of years. They'll do better if they're not crowded. Same as with daffodils, etc.

Latest posts