Goin' to the Dogs!

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
We had a pretty hard time dog wise yesterday. Sometime night before last, our eldest dog Rocco started having difficulty breathing and couldn't stop coughing. Husband took him to ER when he steadily got worse. They said he had heart failure. 50/50 chance medicine would work. If it works, he'll have another 6 months or so of quality life. If it fails, he dies this weekend.

I guess it worked as he went from struggling to breath and unable to even lie down to acting like his normal self this morning. We have a second opinion with our regular vet the 4th.
Just updating on this, we took him to his regular vet who said the ER vet was being very doom and gloom. She reduced the number of medications prescribed by the ER vet to just two, and recommended we customize his diet to support kidney function due to the meds being hard on the kidneys.

She said there's no reason why he can't live out a normal lifespan, as long as he watches his sodium intake (no problem, I make his food) and takes his medication every day.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Just updating on this, we took him to his regular vet who said the ER vet was being very doom and gloom. She reduced the number of medications prescribed by the ER vet to just two, and recommended we customize his diet to support kidney function due to the meds being hard on the kidneys.

She said there's no reason why he can't live out a normal lifespan, as long as he watches his sodium intake (no problem, I make his food) and takes his medication every day.
I had a few vets that over prescribed due to this i've lost faith in most vets due too such actions, they cause a heck of a lot more harm than good.

A really good vet was appalled at the heart treatment my dog was put on, which was totally unnecessary. That dog was already on chemotherapy at the time until his death.

The same vet was also shocked by second vet that literally killed my cocktatoo. I was heart broken because I'd rescued him from a lovely guy that previously rescued him himself, but sadly admitted he couldn't take care of him.
My bird was doing really well with me but got a little under the weather, so I took him too my vet but he passed me to another vet that claimed they could treat birds.
This hateful male vet prescribed him medication that a weighty man would find difficult. With his training he surely knew better, I hope this guy has been struck off , he was lethal too animals.

My vet was really disgusted and felt awful for recommending them and told me he would never recommend this vet ever again.

There should be more checks on people that work medically with animals. But even today I hear horror stories and pray that I never have to take my animals to vets because of dreadful these experiences.

In saying the all of above, I have to admit I used a good vet for my rescued cat, they had respect and really cared about him. They wouldn't use treatments unless necessary now that's a good vet, imho.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I hope it is okay to add this here.

It is heartbreaking how this lady in her 70's is struggling to keep her rescued dogs alive. All she is asking for is food and I'm hoping people will donate medicines to. Please pass this around if you are on any social sites. Soical site's is what I steer clear of and it's not helpful in these cases

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I almost lost my lad so many times since last year. But thanks to discovering good super foods supplements prebiotic and probiotics, he's with me today.

My postman was so shocked to see how he has improved. He may be old and grey but he's enjoying his life and in less pain
20230415_112940.jpg

20230415_113007.jpg

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
I hope it is okay to add this here.

It is heartbreaking how this lady in her 70's is struggling to keep her rescued dogs alive. All she is asking for is food and I'm hoping people will donate medicines to. Please pass this around if you are on any social sites. Soical site's is what I steer clear of and it's not helpful in these cases

I run a dog blog I can share this on and hopefully get her help.
I had a few vets that over prescribed due to this i've lost faith in most vets due too such actions, they cause a heck of a lot more harm than good.

A really good vet was appalled at the heart treatment my dog was put on, which was totally unnecessary. That dog was already on chemotherapy at the time until his death.

The same vet was also shocked by second vet that literally killed my cocktatoo. I was heart broken because I'd rescued him from a lovely guy that previously rescued him himself, but sadly admitted he couldn't take care of him.
My bird was doing really well with me but got a little under the weather, so I took him too my vet but he passed me to another vet that claimed they could treat birds.
This hateful male vet prescribed him medication that a weighty man would find difficult. With his training he surely knew better, I hope this guy has been struck off , he was lethal too animals.

My vet was really disgusted and felt awful for recommending them and told me he would never recommend this vet ever again.

There should be more checks on people that work medically with animals. But even today I hear horror stories and pray that I never have to take my animals to vets because of dreadful these experiences.

In saying the all of above, I have to admit I used a good vet for my rescued cat, they had respect and really cared about him. They wouldn't use treatments unless necessary now that's a good vet, imho.
I think part of the problem is there simply aren't enough vets/vet techs etc. The bad ones get a blind eye turned to them because there's already a 3-6 month wait for veterinary care. I called our vet first, as well as several ERs when Rocco was gasping for breath, unable to breathe. He did not have 3 months to wait for an appointment. He didn't even have a day! There were no options.

It's so bad my vet will treat my dogs over the phone if she can, because there isn't room for anything. I guess it should have been a red flag that this ER was available right away, while literally every other ER in the area had an extended wait time for emergencies. Guess you better not be in danger of dying cause you're not going to get treatment.

As long as he watches his sodium intake…..
Slap his paw when he reaches for the salt shaker! :lol:
Apparently lots of dog foods and treats load it up with salt! The dogs eagerly gulp it down, so you buy more treats because they like it. His favorite treat has salt in it. I just messaged the company to find out how much.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I run a dog blog I can share this on and hopefully get her help.
That is so kind of you. Thank you 😊
I think part of the problem is there simply aren't enough vets/vet techs etc. The bad ones get a blind eye turned to them because there's already a 3-6 month wait for veterinary care. I called our vet first, as well as several ERs when Rocco was gasping for breath, unable to breathe. He did not have 3 months to wait for an appointment. He didn't even have a day! There were no options.
This I believe happened to my neighbours dog. Without further investigation they put the dog down last week, I was so upset, he wasn't that old. The lady had only lost her husband the week before
It's so bad my vet will treat my dogs over the phone if she can, because there isn't room for anything. I guess it should have been a red flag that this ER was available right away, while literally every other ER in the area had an extended wait time for emergencies. Guess you better not be in danger of dying cause you're not going to get treatment.
That's the sad fact of medical help for people and animals. We have this here in UK
Apparently lots of dog foods and treats load it up with salt! The dogs eagerly gulp it down, so you buy more treats because they like it. His favorite treat has salt in it. I just messaged the company to find out how much.
Good for you. Please update us on their response

Last edited:

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I’m sorry to hear your dogs are having health issues. So scary. I’m still reeling over losing Heath. The hurt never seems to end, but Fen has been helping. He was weeding with me the other day. Somehow my big troughs got filled with GRASS. I would till up a chunk and hand it over and he’d shake all the dirt off. He did a stellar job. Dug a nice hole for me too in case I wanted to transplant a large tree 😂 He’s stupidvised while I attempt cutting back vines from the archway and raspberries that have all suffered from years of neglect

Attachments

• 60DF9B36-138F-4A9F-9BF5-33ABDC20A095.jpeg
    60DF9B36-138F-4A9F-9BF5-33ABDC20A095.jpeg
    90.6 KB · Views: 40

Latest posts