Good Heavens, California!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is Alameda around 6pm. The sun is still pretty high but is covered with smoke.
22366725_10214282200872004_3321742151040296371_n.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Maybe it helps to think fresh air, as you stay indoors!

Ophelia has strengthened to a hurricane on its way across the Atlantic. That's too fresh!

The WS says, only 3 other years have had 10 consecutive Atlantic hurricanes: 1878, 1886, and 1893. We don't have any eyewitness to confirm ...

Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's smokier today than other days. We will be staying indoors and not going to the park.

I need to rant. I had a stay at home mother text me last night to ask if children were going to the park or stay indoors. Texted her back this morning that we were staying indoors. This mom doesn't work and has her child here full time. She just got home from the hospital yesterday after having a baby. She has her parents here from China, her in-laws, and her husband staying home with her and new baby. 5 adults to take care of her and baby? Geeze! I was so irritated that I texted her back and told her it was going to be very hard to keep the kids indoors all day and if she would consider keeping her son home. She said she would keep him home. He is 2.5 years and super easy. Does she think that a 2.5 can't miss a day of preschool? Doesn't she want to spend time with him and also have him bond and spend time with his new baby brother?

I know this will bug me all day. :mad: I just don't understand some parents. :barnie

Mary

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's smokier today than other days. We will be staying indoors and not going to the park.

I need to rant. I had a stay at home mother text me last night to ask if children were going to the park or stay indoors. Texted her back this morning that we were staying indoors. This mom doesn't work and has her child here full time. She just got home from the hospital yesterday after having a baby. She has her parents here from China, her in-laws, and her husband staying home with her and new baby. 5 adults to take care of her and baby? Geeze! I was so irritated that I texted her back and told her it was going to be very hard to keep the kids indoors all day and if she would consider keeping her son home. She said she would keep him home. He is 2.5 years and super easy. Does she think that a 2.5 can't miss a day of preschool? Doesn't she want to spend time with him and also have him bond and spend time with his new baby brother?

I know this will bug me all day. :mad: I just don't understand some parents. :barnie

Mary

Is she Chinese then? Maybe it has to do culturally with the significance they put on education. Certainly he'd be better off at home with his mama, though, especially under the circumstances.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
His mom is Chinese, his dad's caucasian. I thought about the cultural thing but his mom is pretty westernized. But maybe I'm wrong. When the little boy came to me almost 2 months ago, he was 2 and a half. He didn't seem to know how to eat. He would just sit and look at me waiting for me to feed him. I taught him how to feed himself. As soon as the grandmas descended on Monday, the first thing they did was take his shoes off and put them on at pick up time. I had to tell his mom that kids here had to take off their own shoes and put them on. I didn't want parents or grandparents doing that for the child.

Mary

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
There is a difference in how some cultured "baby" their kids yet still require an education. I haven't worked with that many Chinese but a few. I think you are getting him because of the culture of education, not because he is hard work for his mother.

Did the Grandma's pay attention to you when you told them your requirements about shoes. As his teacher I'd expect you to get quite a bit or respect.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ridge, I sent the text about the shoes to his mom. The dad has now been dropping him off and picking him up. He's following my instructions. I'm firm in my rules and parents usually look up to me for my experience with kids. They are first parents and you can tell some of them are clueless.

Mary

Latest posts