Good Heavens, California!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is sad for the children when parents don't spend time with them or teach them what they need to know to even get by in life.

The pictures I see on TV of the burned out neighborhoods remind me of the Texas fires of 2011. There is nothing those people can do but run for their lives. Hurricanes can be devastating, floods ruin everything, but fires are total destruction.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today was the worst day as far as the smoke for us. First time I can smell it inside the house even with doors and windows shut.
Air quality control was 160.
22365261_10154895465321630_3392229915962148536_n.jpg

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I talked to a good child care provider friend of mine. Her assistant's cousin was calling all the family to say goodbye to them. He and a friend who's cell phone he was using were surrounded by flames. They don't think they made it. So tragic.

Mary

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
How horrible and sad.

And that smokey air would give me a panic attack, on top of having asthma.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
My client owns Azzaro winery in the east side of Sonoma valley. She came in this morning and said police have whole area blocked off because of looting. One of their employees was able to remove a few items from the house

w_r_ranch

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It seems there's just one disaster after another, and each year it seems to be getting worse, climate change? I'm more and more convinced this has a lot to do with it

About 90% of all wildfires in the United States are caused by humans. Some human-caused fires result from fires left unattended, the burning of debris, negligently discarded cigarettes & intentional acts of arson. The remaining 10 percent are started by lightning or lava.

Having said that, the climate is only to blame in this particular situation because the high winds that are driving the fire. The fact remains that California is always dry/windy at this time of year & thus fire prone... Just like us living on the Gulf of Mexico are prone to have hurricanes in late summer/early fall. It's not 'Climate Change', it's called weather.

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Air quality control was 160.
Mary, I once lived in a local forest. Trees from my place to the other side of the Rockies. Trees from beyond the Canadian border to the Grand Tetons, and beyond those. I remember a day that was stifling with smoke. Still, I thought that 2015 was worse. And, the air quality was even worse in 2017.

One day in August, it was above 250 on that scale. Weeks of smoke as wind from any direction was blowing smoke, usually from 100's of miles, our way. I'm still crying about it ... teary eyed and runny nose.

I don't know what your air pollution is likely to be under normal conditions but it sure would be wonderful to get some of the junk out of our air. Maybe it isn't the same air for all of us ... just yet.

I was reading that 40% of our energy use goes into our buildings. Commitments to a transportation system that puts one person behind 200 horsepower ... I live where railroads daily carry trainload after trainload of coal and crude oil to the ports and out of the country. Even that is probably coming back to us but not in a very welcome way.

Steve

Latest posts