Good Morning from NW MO

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
It looks like you have a great start. Welcome to TEG from South-est, central-est Wisconsin. I'll second (or is it third) the "take lots of pictures" suggestion. We love photos here.

Telling us a little about your growing zone will help us picture where you are gardening and let others in the same zone offer suggestions of what works for them.

Glad to have you growing with us and even happier to have you jump in and participate.

just2rosey

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
It looks like you have a great start. Welcome to TEG from South-est, central-est Wisconsin. I'll second (or is it third) the "take lots of pictures" suggestion. We love photos here.

Telling us a little about your growing zone will help us picture where you are gardening and let others in the same zone offer suggestions of what works for them.

Glad to have you growing with us and even happier to have you jump in and participate.

Smart Red you are right, zone info would be helpful. I am in the top of Zone 5, my soil is pretty neutral if my pH tester is trust worthy. My biggest concern is the soil conditions. I need to amend the whole property. While breaking the garden the soil was darker several inches down than on top. I have sections of pasture/lawn that are dominated by round-up resistant goose grass. I have already started over seeding, but with out big equipment, it will take time to turn things around. I am sure I will run into challenges along the way that you all can help me with.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi @just2rosey and Welcome to the forum!

My grandmother was born in NW Missouri, just outside of Gilman City.

That was in the 19th century! With her grandparents, her aunts, her parents and brothers, she came on west to homestead and grow up on the Idaho/Washington border. Lots of people passed through your part of the world but they actually lived and farmed there for a time.

:) Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome just2rosey! Baymule is in a similar situation as you. She bought some land last year and has been doing fencing for her animals and prepping the soil. Her soil was in pretty bad shape.

Another person for me to be jealous of because of the hugh amount of space they have. :th

Mary

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi, and Welcome from Southeast Missouri! You're going to have so much fun making your own little paradise. Several gardeners on here have rabbits, both for a food supply, and for their manure, which is non-burning, and can be used directly from the manufacturer. So that is a "livestock" you might be able to start sooner than you think.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome from northeast Texas in the Tyler area. Yes, like Mary said, we bought 8 acres last year and moved. It is sandy, plumb, pore dirt. It is like beach sand. Partly woods, part weeds, part green briars, sand, sand, and more sand. I can sure feel for ya' on the soil that is lacking in everything. :gig

I was reading last night about Azomite rock dust. It looks like about the best way to add minerals to the soil. I found the best price on Amazon.

http://www.azomite.com/history.html

Latest posts