OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Dilly Girl said:
Could someone tell me what a vole is?

Thanks
This is a vole:
vole_l.jpg

It's also known as a field mouse. They feed on everything and produce like crazy. They are disastrous on lawns and can cause a lot of damage in gardens and shrubs. They love roots. They're found all over too. They're related to muskrats.

Hope this helps.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Nifty, we definitely have voles up this way. Cats kill them, but will not eat them, so I have seen plenty of the bodies over the last 20 years.

Thankfully for me, they hang out on the upper portion of the property, and not the lower portion, where the big garden is. I think that's because it's actually a 10 year flood plane.

The Townsend's moles go down there, though, but they are welcome! :)

Dilly Girl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
OaklandCityFarmer said:
Dilly Girl said:
Could someone tell me what a vole is?

Thanks
This is a vole:
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn230/curibe9/vole_l.jpg

It's also known as a field mouse. They feed on everything and produce like crazy. They are disastrous on lawns and can cause a lot of damage in gardens and shrubs. They love roots. They're found all over too. They're related to muskrats.

Hope this helps.
I hate them already. Nasty little buggers. Thanks for the information and pic. Anyway to get rid of them without harming my dogs?

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well if you haven't noticed them you might not have them.

But...

Dogs and cats actually help keep them away. Dogs with their urine and cats with catching them (if you're lucky. my cats too lazy)

Traps seems to work. Regular mouse traps with a little bit of apple and peanut butter seems to be the best. Place it in between their holes in the runway.

Garlic/Peppery spray (i think posted earlier) seems to work well for lot's of pest. Or even a garlic/onion barrier.

Dilly Girl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have not seen the nasty little varmets, but I have seen hundreds of those holes. They are now going into areas I do not want them, so I need to rid my world of them. lol The dgos are having enough trouble with the darn Gophers.

Thanks.