Got My First Corn Sprout

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I won't be putting corn in for another few weeks, but last year, darned rats went down every row and systematically took out and ate every last corn seed first time around!!!! I shot the rat...

SoyBean

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I love corn. I can't wait to harvest my own. Thankfully the corn isn't outside yet. I think the worst I'll have to deal with is birds. They are everywhere around here. No rats that I can think of though. I have pet rats though. :) But they are not allowed anywhere near my plants. They would devour them all, the little piggies. :p

SoyBean

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
6 sprouts now! And the first two are getting taller. I can't wait till the carrot sprouts. Who knew gardening would be so much fun.

joann

Leafing Out
Reaction score
papadekaitlyn said:
You can container grow sweet potatos, but you will need a large container. Also as the plant vine grows I would add more soil around it to provide more area for new roots (and taters) to grow as the plant grows.

I have grown red potatos in tire stacks quite well many times. I start with one tire and when the plant reaches about 2 feet tall I add another tire around it and fill it with soil as well as more slow release fertilizer.

I keep doing this until the vine dies and then just rip the tires off the stack one at a time and dump the potatos out.
I planted 5 youkon Goldern plants about a month ago. they are growing so fast. Two weeks ago, I made box to hill them. Its about 8 inches tall. I hilled them with some fertilzed top soil. In two weeks they have grown over 10 inches more.

My question is do I just keep Hilling them? how many times? At the rate they are growing I will need a 6 ft tall box by fall.

thx
joann

Laurie Kruczek

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I have a couple of Golden Bantam Improved corn sprouts up. I planted them with Top Crop green beans and those are leaping up, too. We have a boost of HOT weather this weekend, and they are loving it.

Also up, carrots, beets, onion, head & leaf lettuce, kohlrabi, broccoli, radish, swiss chard, mustard greens, pak choy, peas, and lots of herbs.