Got my Winter Planting Set Up Going Inside (Question Page 2!)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ok so my set up is ALL over the place now. I have 100's of sprouts! BUT it seems everyone has 'stunted' growth!? In a matter of weeks, it seems none of my plants have reached new heights? Could it be the lights I'm using? Flourescent 14 watt bulbs... which are 'equivilant' to 60 watts. I have lights on everyone. They are on all day... and I kinda leave them on at night when I forget. Oops.

Anyways... I have some plants that came up 3 weeks ago and they are no bigger then the day they came up. My friend has the same set up as me and she had sprouts come up 2-3 days after mine did, and her sprouts are now 3x bigger!!! :/ Bummed and confused!

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Is it warm enough in your basement? Those fluorescent bulbs don't really give off heat. We use plant lights in our basement, too, but the wood stove kicks out a LOT of heat.

Do they have anywhere to go with roots? Just a couple thoughts...

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Each one is in a 4" x 2" paper towel tube or a 2" peat pot... they have time to replant. They are all located in my bathroom above the heat vent or in the kitchen in south facing windows... again by the heat vent.

I moved the lamps closer to the sprouts that were straggling this morning. Hoping it was just not enough light. Us southerners very RARELY have basements... we have icky crawl spaces.... :tongue

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Oops--guess you did not mention a basement :) I LOVE my basement. It's where I work all day on my computer. It has big windows, tile floor, wood paneling and a nice warm woodstove. Not the typical basement image a person gets.

I'd say the lights are a good guess. For some reason, your pix did not come through the first time. I would say get the bathroom lights WAY closer to the plants. I keep my lights close enough to almost touch the plants. Helps the plants not get long and leggy while trying to reach the light. Good luck!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Can I just say that my pole beans and lavender foxglove is OUT of control though. I've been having to weed my foxglove back... I've thrown away like 100 sprouts to make room for the 12 I have going.

I think I should start like 100 more foxglove plants just to sell 'em. I sell the seeds on craigslist for $3 a packet, and I've made $30 this week.... maybe I should just see how many seedlings I can get going to sell!?

Other then that everyone seems at a standstill. I will update how making the light closer helped or not... my morning glories look pathetic!

MontanaMama

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the stunted growth issue, but I have to say I LOVE the kitchen window shelf and lights! You are all inspiring me with your pictures here to get out my grow lights and get planting! It's about the right time for zone 3...well, at least this is when I usually get it done :)

Thanks for motivating me!!!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I didn't see the earlier post about poor growth and I suppose by now it is probably resolved one way or the other :p but it is quite possible they simply need fertilizer. A VERY VERY WEAK dose.

You can't really start seeds too well in medium that already has much in the way of fertilizer in it, but as they start growing that means you have to *provide* it. Some plants, in some media, you can get away without it, but they'd do better with.

Emphasis on VERY VERY WEAK ;)

Pat, who needs to prick out lettuce seedlings this afternoon, thank you for remindign me :)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thats a good idea pat... I didn't think of checking when I started... I just bought 'spagnum moss' that turned out to be 'miricle growed' kind. I think I am going to use some plant tone sparingly on the few that really haven't moved forward strongly!

Latest posts