Got new beds built! pic

trunkman

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Ninny, there is lots more room for more, only thing is you don't see the other 6 beds in the back yard:) Vfem, I would but I'm still trying to get over the back ache from shoveling all that compost.. :)

grow_my_own

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
trunkman said:
:) Mary, I'm not bragging I'm just trying to catch up to these folks in California, http://urbanhomestead.org/ they're growing over 6000 lbs of veggies on 1/10th of an acre! I'm so jealous! :/
Wow, that is certainly something to aspire toward! Beautiful AND functional... what more could you want? :)

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
trunkman said:
Hunkie, I wouldn't of purchased oak like this because I don't know how long the frames will last, I did plan on using pressure treated till I was offered these...
Lesa, I'm going to use 3 of them for tomatoes, and the other 3 for quick producing crops like green beans and cukes, peppers, but in February I'll be planting cool weather crops like lettuce, beets and the such. :)
No, I was wanting to buy some rough cut lumber, nothing fancy and he is wanting to use some recycled lumber that we have in the barn. We've used a good bit of it on our chicken coop and the stuff that is left is not the best and won't last long in the garden... but he'll be the one remaking them in a year or two. What I am really needed is a place to buy compost by the yard and not in bags. I called out county extension office and they didn't know of anyplace in the area. I am going to start calling neighboring counties next week. Where did you get yours?

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey brag all you want-you worked hard!. Can you plant things NOW where you live?
I would suggest a plastic row cover, though I don't know how cold it gets in SC. Wish I could be planting now!

trunkman

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Hunkie, I bought my compost at a landscaping place where they have big piles of mulch and stuff, we have a few of those places here in town, you might want to look in the yellow pages for your area and look for landscaping supplies, I'm sure you have them around someplace... and a yard of compost costs 40 dollars a yard here, this project took 2 yards. That amount of compost at home depot would probably cost you hundreds of dollars if you buy it by the bag.. So I hope you have a pick up truck. Hope this helps.. :)

trunkman

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Catjac, I've got carrots, onions and garlic in a couple of my beds now and it's dwindling fast tho, I can start planting cool weather crops in about 4 to 6 weeks, can't wait. :tools

jhook1997

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Nice Job! You are going to love doing raised beds. I made (15) 4'x4' and 3 or 4 odd size ones last year. Your garden is looking a lot like mine. One other thing I added was landscape fabric under it all. All the lumber free and this year I have free mulch to add to the walkways. I agree.....filling them up with dirt is the worst!

8794_sfgarden2.jpg

8794_100_0402.jpg

Good luck with whatever you plant.:watering

trunkman

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Nice job jhook!! raised beds to me are the best, the older ones I have I can weed easily, lots of times I can also turn the soil with just a had tool. I put a double layer of cardboard down after I build the bed then toss the compost on top of it, and I always get great results. The open garden proved to be more work for me, mostly weeding. Welcome to the forum by the way! :D