Got some more things in the ground!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am proud of you! That is a big step. It's easy to raise and feed animals. The hard part is turning them into food for you and your family. Good job!!

skeeter9

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am impressed, Secuono. We just had 3 pigs processed by the butcher. Couldn't make ourselves do the deed. Nice job!!! :thumbsup

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If you like hog brains (which I do) then hanging the pig and sticking it is the only way to go. Otherwise a hammer or bullet to the head is fast and painless. Aging the carcass is the hard part. It's best if you can split the hog down the middle and hang it, but I have seen people quarter it and stuff it into a large fridge. If you don't have the facilities to age it, maybe the butcher will accept it if you kill and split it then give it to him to age and cut. Might save on some of the processing fee.

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yum I process my own chickens and when I finish clearing my property I hope to have hogs. I will process them myself I know that the butchers here won't take a dead hog gutted somewhere else it is all or nothing!!

home grown Bacon!!! Yum!!:drool SEcuono I don't eat lamb but glad it iw working out for you!!!!

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks you guys.
He's in the freezer. I'll have to buy large pots, thaw it out and cut him up to soak at some point...

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I had planned to butcher my two 2yo hens Saturday, sometime. They discovered a hole in their was-to-be-temporary enclosure and were hanging around the other chicken pen in the morning. So, THAT was my first Saturday job. I cooked them down in the crock pot for 6 hours with a big bottle of cheap beer that I had for cooking purposes. They were REALLY tender!! Yesterday I stayed home and made the leftovers along with cooking down 6 chicken necks I had in the freezer, plus onions, celery and carrots, into an awesome stew...with biscuits...and with homemade bread. SUPER YUM!!!!
You people that aren't able to get meat this fresh don't KNOW what you're missing. We're gonna convert you yet, Marshallsmyth!! :hugs

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ducls4u tell me about your crockpot recipe for chicken sounds good! I have 5 in freezer camp and 6 more to go I don't like to do too many at a time,My family are a little funny about killing those birds so I kind of hide and then they don't care .

Do love a good chicken crockpot recipe thou!!

AlienChick

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I process my own chickens, too.

But I'm real impressed with you who process your pigs.

I just bought a baby pig that I'm raising for slaughter in November.

I'll be taking her to the butcher. Her name is Bacon. :D

Latest posts