Got some tomatoes canned today...

trunkman

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
My wife had to work today so I was at home alone and got bored so I went in the garden and picked the ripe tomatoes and decided to can, this is 25 lbs of cherokee purple and russian tomatoes and some other type of tomato whose name I forgot.
7846_canned_tomatoes_005.jpg

I got 9 quarts from those 25 lbs. I added two basil leaves fresh from my wifes herb garden to each jar, I've never tried that before, hope it turns out good...
7846_canned_tomatoes_008.jpg
:D

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lucky you! Still waiting here! Love the idea of the basil... I'll have to try that. Looking forward to getting some tomatoes canned. Ours lasted till spring- but we had to buy some store sauce!!

Veggie PAK

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Great job! What a productive way to spend some time! Isn't it fun? I love adding to my food supply that doesn't need refrigeration.

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Looks wonderful! You are making me envious! We have many, many green tomatoes. Not a sign of red or pink showing yet, so I am patiently waiting.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am so jealous, I'm getting ready to can my first batch of tomatoes this weekend. Debating on tomato sauce, whole or salsa. I want it all but don't have enough tomatoes quite yet. :)

Those purple cherokee make for fantastic salsa!!! ;)

NurseNettie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
vfem said:
I am so jealous, I'm getting ready to can my first batch of tomatoes this weekend. Debating on tomato sauce, whole or salsa. I want it all but don't have enough tomatoes quite yet. :)

Those purple cherokee make for fantastic salsa!!! ;)
When ours are ready, they will be canned whole or chopped, with a bit of salsa made as well. We'll make sauce as we need it this year, since I just about killed myself watching over sauce last year---- it never seemed to be "done"-- so all the 'maters are going in jars, and we'll grab a couple and make sauce as we need it!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Nettie, I was actually thinking about just doing it that way too! However, I love making homemade pizza and that takes away from the quick work of those. So I think I'll make one canned batch of sauce, 1 of salsa and then I'll just can tomatoes peeled and chopped to make whatever out of when I'm ready.

Excellent plan though!!! :p

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh, you know what I would like? A sloppy joe sauce recipe to can!? That would be so yummy!!! :)

rickdigschicks

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Vfem, That does sound tasty. Trunkman, those look awesome.

I have San Marzano's that are growing like crazy but nothing ripening yet. I also have Heirloom Romas that are growing well but no blooms in sight.

I can't wait to start making sauces and stuff. Sooo.. jealous

Latest posts