Got 'Taters!!!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
No grumbling here, Jim! I use organic potatoes from the store to plant, all the time. Didn't know that about waiting long enough and the retardant wears off. I love the fingerlings, they are my fav!

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
there are some varieties that are know as 'fingerlings' an then the young potatoes you have 'robbed' the mother plant can also be called fingerlings or 'new' potatoes. i've also heard of them referred to as pig potatoes from former co-workers that used to give them to their pigs.

for anyone needing a reference on different types of potatoes out there on the market this site might help a little! http://www.potatogarden.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=PG&Category_Code=NSP this is the listing they had for the 2012 year of all the types they sold. i bought from them for the 2011 year and kept and planted those potatoes that sprouted and i'm waiting for them to die back once they have finished flowering. i got the purple vikings and this year i bought locally some irish cobbler.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I didn't know about those definitions.

Fingerlings are often no larger than fingers. I've only grown them a couple of times but should probably have them in the garden again. Most varieties, and there are several, are late maturing so they should be a good choice for storage. They have grown right up until frost has killed the plants in the past and there was good production.

Any potato can be fed to livestock. In fact, that's how a potato farmer I know got into raising & selling beef. He said that all he was doing otherwise was feeding the deer when he cleaned out his storage at the end of the season.

The first new potatoes came out of my potato patch yesterday. The peas are nearly finished so it was important to enjoy those great "creamed peas and new potatoes!" They were Yukon Gold. I'm not sure if fingerlings would have worked for that since they mature late. Scheduling is always tight and it helps to plant some peas late so that they aren't finished before there are potatoes under the vines :p.

Steve

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
it could just be they called them pig potatoes because their pigs got to the small ones on the top and left the larger ones further underground alone. or it could be because those small top growing potatoes might get partially eaten by the shrews/mice/voles in our area and they got thrown to the pigs. i have this issue when i've used too much straw over the tops of the hills and some don't get planted deep or hilled over enough.

Latest posts