Gourmet potato recommendation

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Just dug the very last of the potatoes, and I can heartily recommend the Peruvian All Blue potato.

Last year, I wasn't sure how the weather would go and did sorta-raised beds (raised 6-8") for the potatoes. We had horrific drought all through August, we barely got an inch of rain, outdoor watering was prohibited everywhere, and I thought for sure the whole garden was going to be useless. The Peruvian All Blue made about 30-40% more potatoes than German Butterball, Viking Purple or Cranberry Red, that is to say it made hmm, perhaps 8-10 lbs. potatoes when I only planted 2 lbs. So, OK, the All Blues are good in drought.

This year, preparing for a summer drought, I didn't raise the beds but put down layers of mulch on everything, layering more mulch on the potatoes through the spring/early summer. This year, we had bloody FLOODS and there were maybe three sunny days in any given summer week. We got, easily, 2-3 inches of rain per week. Things I planted got about six inches tall and then rotted from all the rain. I had to pick everything green, lest it get moldy before it got ripe, it was that bad. We've got mad worms like you wouldn't believe, AND we have the shrews and mice that eat worms (and potatoes...). I lost every single German Butterball and Cranberry Red that I planted to shrews and things eating them. And still, the Peruvian All Blues did OK! Not great, not even as well as last year, but still OK! I have, hmm, maybe 5 lbs. after planting 2 lbs. seed taters. This is after torrential rains and rodent predation.

Apparently it's just a very robust potato that takes all sorts of abuse. Next year I'll get my husband to plant them, and I'll let you guys know if it survives a brown thumb!:weight

They are excellent eating potatoes, too, as long as you don't mind your mashed taters being a lovely shade of lavender...

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
SO what is it like to eat them? can you describe the flavor..... thanks

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
They are very dense but creamy. Not floury or mealy at all, but soft and silky-smooth when cooked. Very buttery taste.

Lettuce Lady

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Any other recommendations?

Last year I just planted potatoes from the supermarket. The Yukon Golds grew excellent and tasted excellent. The russet and red potatoes didn't do as well. This year I think I'll order real seed potatoes and want some tasty, non-supermarket variety.

COgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I love growing potatoes, we had a rough growing year last year, really cold well into late May, then really dry, then really hot, then soaking rains for a month so I figured my taters would be a big failure, just too many extrems. I had King Harry and Cranberry Reds in the ground. The King Harry's did fair, but the Cranberry Reds were outstanding. Creamy texture, wonderful full flavor and my grand daughter loved the pink mashed potatoes they make. This year it will be Cranberry Reds, Yukon Golds and All Blues. I'm also going to try sweet potatoes.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hey thanks Rosalind, I will have to look around for a source, that sounds like a potato that maybe I could grow here :)

Pat

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Rosalind, when did you put them in the ground?
I planted a bunch of red, blue and purple last year along with some of the fingerlings.
All of them grew but they were still small by the time I did the last harvest.
I know that I didn't get them in the ground as early as I wanted due to problems with the company losing the order for a couple of weeks, but I can't remember how late they were.

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I usually plant potatoes in mid-late April. Our last frost date is actually May 1st, but the potatoes are getting so much mulch they can put up with a slight cold snap.

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks Rosalind, I know that I got them in later than that because of the mix up with the company.
I ended up with reordering with woodprairie farms and they were awesome.
The service is fantastic and the potatoes looked great. I just wish I had found the earlier.
I already have my potatoes picked out for this year.
Those fingerling potatoes are really good too.

Hencackle

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I order from Wood Prarie too. Great company! For an early potato, I chose Caribe; for baking I grew Butte, and the other varieties I picked were Red Cloud, Rose Finn Apple Fingerling, & Cranberry Red.

My soil is a heavy clay, full of rocks, so I plant my potatoes above the soil line. Usually, I make a cage out chicken wire, line the sides with a thick layer of straw and fill the cage with alternating layers of straw and soil. As the potatoes grow, I add more soil and straw to surround the stems. The stems stay erect until they die down and I've noticed that I rarely have a problem with potato beetles as I did when I raised potatoes in rows. What few beetles I've seen can be picked off and crushed. (I don't spray)

Latest posts