Government Program for Grants on Tree Planting

Mackay

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My DH heard that there is a program where the government grant will help you do a tree farm.

We are trying to find out about this program but don't know where to find it and an internet search didn't bring it up.

It goes like this.

They provide you with info on where to purchase trees cheap.
They pay for up to %80 for irrigation of crop.
This can be done on private land.
You care for them for about 10 years, then you get to sell them.

Does anyone know about this program and how to find it?

Mackay

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Short and sweet doesn't work for dumb and dumber. :hu

What is an extension agent and how might I find one?

farmerlor

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Mackay said:
Short and sweet doesn't work for dumb and dumber. :hu

What is an extension agent and how might I find one?
Look in your phone book for county government offices. Should be there. It'll be your county extension office, like mine is the Elbert county extension office.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sorry. Sometimes I assume and that is usually a mistake.

As farmerlor said, try the phone book under your county. The extension agency is set up by the state to assist the citizens with agricultural problems. They are normally tied in with your land grant state university and have access to a tremendous amount of information on how to grow things, pest problems, and government programs, especially in your specific county and state. They normally head the 4-H programs in the schools. If you visit their office, you can probably find a lot of free phamplets and brochures full of good information. For example, in Arkansas I got a brochure that gives me month by month what I should be planting. In Arkansas they can get my soil sample tested for free. There might be a charge in your state. They told me where I can buy compost in bulk in around here. It's still $25 per yard but it is a lot cheaper than the bags you can buy at the stores. They are actually one case of where government is actually here to help us.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Once in, you can't get out--w/out paying a fairly significant penalty. New owners are under the same penalty if you want to sell.

Usually your water/soil department (DSR) has a tree sale in spring where you can buy seedlings very cheap.

Unless you are talking a lot of acres on junk ground, avoid the gov. programs like plague.