Grape tomatoes are splitting 'after'

MuranoFarms

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Ok, this one is baffling me. Why are my grape tomatoes splitting after I pick them? They are so pretty and perfect when I bring them in.....a few hours later half of them have split. What am I doing wrong?
:barnie

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I . don't . know.

People say good things about Black Cherries. Tomatoes have a problem with splitting in my garden. Yes, those Black Cherries would split - when they were ripe and I'd run the sprinkler on them. But . . .

They'd also split all on their own, after I'd picked them a little early, and left them in a basket on the kitchen table . . !

Steve

edited so that I could get this little guy in:
nothingtoadd.gif

i hope someone has an idea, MuranoFarms. my only sad idea is to not grow that variety . . .

desertlady

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I too think its from too much water. do you pick tomatoes while they are still warm? I notice that they do split when its warm.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
MuranoFarms said:
Ok, this one is baffling me. Why are my grape tomatoes splitting after I pick them? They are so pretty and perfect when I bring them in.....a few hours later half of them have split. What am I doing wrong?
:barnie
Because they want to. Just eat them quick. :lol:

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Tomatoes are like men, they just split on you for no reason! :lol:

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Could it have something to do with the change in temperature and/or humidity from the garden to the kitchen? Wonder if anybody who doesn't have air conditioning has the splitting problem.

MuranoFarms

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I've tried picking them in the morning, picking on cooler days when i don't have the air on, rinsing in lukewarm water...etc etc. Nothing seems to help.
I can't imagine it would be from too much water in the plant. We've had a very dry summer here, and I don't get around to watering unless the plants look really parched.

Latest posts