Grapes- Wild and Otherwise

Iona's Orchard

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
What's the sweetest, crunchiest grape? I know I'll probably get different opinions, but hey.
As much fun as wine making sounds, it won't happen. I'm looking for the best possible option for table grapes, and my mouth is watering with all the "15 lbs. of grapes, 30 lbs. of grapes, etc." Can not wait!!! And from what I've read, grapes are pretty hardy and require only general care. True?

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
thanks for the info Marshall. i've been wondering about that brix thing lately. i'm not much of a wine drinker-yet. the only one i've really found somewhat pleasing is the Zinfandel, but i haven't yet tried any white or rose types to see if there are any i like from that category. i do use a lot of the cheaper red wines for cooking if they have a decent taste but i just can't get a full glass down in a sitting. that's why i've been trying to decide if i want to grow some wine grapes or some that can be dual purpose if i just can't get used to wine and could use them for eating or juice and jelly making instead.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
Iona, there's a site i use for looking up grape varieties that you can also order from if you like them. i personally have not ordered grapes from them yet but i did buy some raspberries last year. they are called Double A Vineyards in NY. they give you info about the susceptibility of each grape to common diseases and mildews. it also tells you their lowest zone they can thrive in, common uses, and if there is a notable taste to them or the wine any detail on that.

you might also want to decide if you want seedless or seeded grapes. i find that because my zone 5 gets some really cold winters that most seedless grapes will still produce 3 seeds per berry, my Canadice has done this since it started producing. i remember reading a few years back that this will happen in colder climates. zone 5 seems to be the coldest most seedless grapes can tolerate. there are a few i have found that will go down to a zone 4 but i have not grown them to be sure if they will remain seedless at such cold temps. i have been trying to get a couple cuttings of seedless Einset, it is hardy to zone 4/5a depending on whichever site you find it listed on, it is supposed to have a strawberry like flavor. Seedless Concord (there's a seeded type too), and Somerset should be cold hardy to zone 4. i have a Niagra but i have not been able to get any grapes from the vine before my local chipmunk population has snagged the few berries it has put out.

i don't know what zone you live in and everyone has their own preference on tastes of grapes, so it is all up to what you like.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nyboy said:
Chickie's mom have you try sangria? Wine mix with fruit juice or soda. Lots of ways to make.
i did try some this summer and for some reason i didn't care much for the one i had. i tend to be a wine cooler fan :lol: but i guess those don't really count as real wine!

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Iona's Orchard said:
What's the sweetest, crunchiest grape? I know I'll probably get different opinions, but hey.
As much fun as wine making sounds, it won't happen. I'm looking for the best possible option for table grapes, and my mouth is watering with all the "15 lbs. of grapes, 30 lbs. of grapes, etc." Can not wait!!! And from what I've read, grapes are pretty hardy and require only general care. True?
Crunchy grapes would be what I would consider a non-slipskin. Thompson comes to mind. Those are the ones you are most likely to find in the grocery store. Grapes are fairly low maintenance, but do require regular pruning and a careful feeding program. They are deep rooted so will tolerate dry weather pretty well. Depending on where you live, you may have to consider spraying for disease as well.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Himrod is going to be the sweetest eating grape.

Thompson Seedless is going to be the biggest crunchiest one.

Some may say Canadice is better.

Himrod is sometimes peppered onto wine grapes that might not make a minimum brix, but nowadays they have ultra sweet seeded Pinot's for that too. I'd kind of like to try some of those new pinot strains just to eat.

I just adore Himrods! Hard to get in stores because they are not the most productive. Blast with production!

I'd rather have a little of great than a lot of lousy.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I don't know Marshall. Canadice is a spicy grape, at least from my vine it is. I have a neighbor who loves them...while they are still green! I tried a green one once. It was a week before i could drink through anything but a straw :lol: I don't know how she does it.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i've never really picked up on the spicy part of the Canadice. though i have enjoyed them when they were ripe, those darn seeds keep me from eating a lot of them. so i just use them for making jelly.

Latest posts