Grapes

Rusty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I tried Thompson and Flame when I first got here, mainly because they were the only varieties available locally so I figured they must grow here, right? Wrong. They froze out that first winter. So next I planted one each of seedless Concord, Marquis, and Reliance. Got some leaves last year. Tried to prune them into a double tier this year without much success. Just discovered they've got teeny tiny clusters of grapes on them! All three vines have half a dozen of these itty-bitty clusters. Now comes the $64,000 question....What do I do next?

I've read that the clusters need to be bagged to keep the birds out of them. At what size do I do that? Right now they are maybe 1/2" to maybe an inch big.

Do I keep trying to train them into a form or do I just let them sprawl all over the wire trellis they are growing on?

Gee, can you tell I've never grown grapes before?

:tools

Rusty

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Now I was told to remove those clusters! We're trying to grow relaince grapes this year and I was warned to make the grapes put all energy into roots and controlling the vine growth and to remove any grapes that tried to grow as they wouldn't be very good. I'm not supposed to allow grape production until the 3rd or 4th year.

As for training them... year one let them run wild in whatever direction they want to go... just adjusting the vines so they actually cling well to the area you allowed for them. (Where you want the main vine you won't trim.) Then in year 2 cut the vines so you have one main trunk, and keep maybe one or 2 strong thick vines you will keep as permanents.

Let me get you the link I was given to look at for our vine.

http://www.ehow.com/how_172725_prune-grape-vine.html

Rusty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We're in the same zone, so I suppose that would be valid here as well. Frankly I cannot imagine those tiny vines supporting the weight of grapes yet, as they are barely 2 feet tall and very skinny.

Thanks for the tip!

Rusty

:bouquet

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I did notice some clusters on mine yesterday as well. Again, its only about 2' tall, and its not supported by the wire supports we put up for it to train the vines. I'm going to have to pinch them off today while I'm in the garden too.

But how exciting to see that they are so happy as to try to produce, you know!!!??? It made me smile anyways. :celebrate

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My only advice is to train them as closely as you can to the diagrams of the "proper" pruning methods. I hear it is hard to over-prune a grape. Also, if you have the space for more grape plants, try to grow cuttings from your prunings.

When we first moved, a neighbor got me excited about growing grapes. I also found that the local nursery probably wasn't selling the ideal varieties for our region. I'm glad you found some that will thrive for you. :)

Grapes are so beautiful, even if they aren't currently producing fruit. Enjoy!