grapes

Herbgardener

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
What I want to know is if I plant to varieties of grapes next to each other will they cross pollinate?

Herbgardener

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Herbgardener said:
What I want to know is if I plant to varieties of grapes next to each other will they cross pollinate?

Herbgardener
No, they won't cross pollinate.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm curious why you say they won't cross pollinate?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just did a two second google on grapes. It seems they do in fact cross pollinate. ??

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah, Google can be a friend or it can be pretty confusing. Don't you love the net.

Apparently some grapes are self-sterile and some are not. If you are not planting the seeds it probably does not matter if they cross-pollinate. I'm pretty sure with cross-pollination, the fruit itself is not affected but if you plant the seeds, they will have mixed genetics.

All the grape varieties available in my Starks Brothers catalogue are self-pollinating.

I have different varieties planted side by side and the fruit they bear is unique to that plant, cross-pollination does not affect the actual fruit. It would affect what the fruit if vines grown from that seed would look like.

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If you are not planting the seeds it probably does not matter if they cross-pollinate. I'm pretty sure with cross-pollination, the fruit itself is not affected but if you plant the seeds, they will have mixed genetics.
That!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh yeah- just like pumpkins and squash. I should have figured that out!! Really hoping to put in a few grape vines this year...

Schroeder

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Ridgerunner said:
I have different varieties planted side by side and the fruit they bear is unique to that plant, cross-pollination does not affect the actual fruit. It would affect what the fruit if vines grown from that seed would look like.
Could you describe your arbors? I got carried away with a seed catalog and ordered 3 different seedless varieties. I'm tearing out some black raspberries that are diseased and thought I would replace them with the grapes. What was I thinking! Now I have arbors to build this spring.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Many different ways to do this and many a lot prettier than mine. Don't know if you can see this all that well, but I put three posts in the ground maybe 8 to 10 feet apart, put a 4' long cross piece 2x4 on top with a bolt, then drove a couple of nails so the cross piece would not rotate, then put some 2"x4" vinyl coated welded wire about 1' wide on each side.

Last year is the first time I got grapes on them, not enough to can or do anything with other than eat fresh. That was fine by me.

6180_grapes_west.jpg

6180_grapes_east.jpg

I did something similar for my parents several years ago, but just stretched cable between the cross pieces. That worked fine.