Grapevines

melgsix

Leafing Out
Reaction score
If I plant grapevines now how long will it be before I get fruit? I just picked some up the other day at Home Depot and they said I can plant then now, but knew nothing else.

Sarah_Mom2Four

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks so much for posting this question we plant to plant grapes all along our fence this year, and then make wine once they are really producing. I can't wait to see all the info that you get :p

smom1976

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I was told... let the vines grow at first and half way through the first year.. cut them all back to the two strongest vines on each side..

then the next year vines will grow from those vines and you will cut back to two off of each two vines..

during this time not letting it go to fruit

then the third year you will have a ton of fruit..

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
smom1976 said:
I was told... let the vines grow at first and half way through the first year.. cut them all back to the two strongest vines on each side..

then the next year vines will grow from those vines and you will cut back to two off of each two vines..

Hmmm... I'm looking for more information on how to take care of them... I haven't found much. I did find the department or commerce and the department of agriculture here did have a site with a list of grapes that do ok/well here. Mostly muscadine is what they suggest where I live. I want bunch grapes though, so I finally found a variety that will do ok here... Niagara seem nice!

Blue Ridge Hillbilly

Leafing Out
Reaction score
If you are going to grow muscadine grapes you can get a few grapes the second year and more the third and fourth year. You really need to get your vines up on your trellis before you are concerned about fruit. That will come in due time. Remember this. On muscadine grapes you will only get grapes on last years wood. You will need to prune fairly heavily each year once your vines start producing. A good place to start is to look at Ison's nursery on the internet. If you want to spend about 8 dollars you can order a book by Bill Ison on growing Muscadine grapes that will be very valuable to you in your gardenings efforts.

smom1976

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
vfem said:
smom1976 said:

Hmmm... I'm looking for more information on how to take care of them... I haven't found much. I did find the department or commerce and the department of agriculture here did have a site with a list of grapes that do ok/well here. Mostly muscadine is what they suggest where I live. I want bunch grapes though, so I finally found a variety that will do ok here... Niagara seem nice!
I picked mine up at lowes.. they were $4 each.. so not a whole lot wasted if they fail.. but these ones are black monukka seedless "delicious, sweet, mid-season grape for warmer climates. Excellent for rasins, wine and snacking" (taken off label)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yeah... one's thought to do well in NC are a short and sweet list!

Latest posts