Grasshopper advice please

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
For the last three years or so we have had a huge crop of grasshoppers. They are mostly out away from the house in the mowed weed areas, and my veg garden, but one spot in particular that I see them in a lot is on the east side of the house in one of my flowerbeds.

Out in the more open areas they are so thick that they fly up in front of you as you walk, hitting you and being disgusting :sick.
Today as I was crawling around weeding the beds by the house I saw the first little tiny one (squished it ).

I catch a lot and feed them to the massive garden spiders, the cats catch them and the dog eats them, but obviously we don't make much of a dent in the population.
I know the chickens would love them, but they might possibly (like fer sher ) be more destructive to the gardens than the hoppers.

So... do you guys have any ideas on control without heavy duty chemicals?

aussieheelr

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I've heard that guineas are the best natural solution for grasshoppers. Aparently they are grasshopper eatin' machines... that is if you can put up with their noises.

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That's right .... the guinea hens are great bug eaters in general, and aren't too interested in eating plants, or digging in the garden soil. But they DO make a LOT of racket ... we have two ... wish we could tolerate more! :) :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
No experience so just an idea: Semaspore Bait, Nosema locustae

At least, it is used as an organic alternative and supposed to be specific to grasshoppers & crickets. The manufacturers say it is safe to everything else. "OMRI Listed for use in organic production."

I think you are choosing the right time to do something about this, Thistle'. Waiting for serious problems just means having to suffer the damage, using heavier artillery or both.

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks guys! :) The guineas aren't an option because of the noise. Wouldn't bother me so much, but I don't live here alone :p .
I think that bait looks really good Steve, not too spendy either. I'll order some and get back with the results.

Latest posts