Gray shub with shiny dark green leaves

damummis

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
It does look like an Azalea or Rhodedendron of some type. There are a lot of varieties of these types. I can't tell if there are buds in the centers of the leaf clusters.

Maybe a cotoneaster?

elijahboy

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
growing up in the south there are azaleas everywhere here and i HATE them with a passion

this does not look like any azalea i have seen.

azaleas leaves are normally about 2 shades darker and furry

i have never seen shiny azalea leaves and any azaleas i ahve seen had dark brown hardware never grey

badpuddy

Sprout
Reaction score
No buds. Leaves are not fuzzy. Really does not look like an azalea.
I have several azalea varieties in my yard and this plant shares no similarities. Thanks for the input.

badpuddy

Sprout
Reaction score
Hi,
I added one more picture- close up of leaves.
Thanks again.

beavis

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks for the close-up.

This west coast guy is still working on the I.D.

Again, I do not think its an Azalea, we had tons of rhododendrons and azaleas in our yard in Oregon, and this plants leaves look much more leathery, almost Pittosporum or Laurel like.

beavis

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am leaning towards some type of Rhododendron now based on this research I did (and other)

"Azaleas have typical features in the form of small hair-like structures. These hair are found growing parallel to the leafs surface. This feature can be clearly seen on the midrib of the leaf, i.e. along its underside. The evergreen variety of azaleas has a visible hair growth pattern. However, rhododendrons dont have hair-like growth but they do have small, scaly dots, found underneath the leaf. Some rhododendrons may have oblong spots that may be confused with sticky, thick hair-like projections but an azalea leaf will never be dotted or have scales. The commonest varieties of azaleas are deciduous, i.e. they shed their leaves in the winter season. Except R. dauricum and R. mucronulatum, all rhododendrons are evergreen."

Now I would love to see a picture of the underside of the leaves.

Myrtilifolium2_1.JPG

Northernrose

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
My guess would be some kind of Rhaphiolepis or " indian hawthorn"
There are probably 100's of varieties, but mine have grey bark, the same leaves (a few turn reddish in the fall) and white to pink flowers in the spring.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I really don't think it's a rhododendron. Their leaves are larger and would be fuller on the plant, not just the tips. I am really curious now. I hope someone can ID this thing! Maybe we won't know until it blooms!! :p

Latest posts