Graywater, anyone?

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Anyone here have a gray water system? We're going to be building a house this summer, and I thought it would be a good opportunity to install a graywater system. I'm interested in any recommendations for systems or general tips.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Some of the campers have their sinks plumbed straight to tanks. They usually just dump it, but for reuse in a garden from sinks it'd be best to use those organic dishsoaps, and use a sink drain screen to catch stuff like meat oils.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
you may want to check local and state zoning and ordinances about the gray water tanks and the use. i think some states limit what areas can be hooked up to the tanks along with certain filters than need to be installed. we have a friend who is a plumber and this is something he has mentioned has come up on occasion during his yearly certification meetings. good luck with this if you are able to do it! i'd love to be able to do that with this house!

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My Pop did this for years.
He built his house in 1951, he has his basement drain for the wash machine and the bath wash basin and tub drain to the garden.
He doesn't garden any longer as he's 92 and can't do what he did 20 years ago.
I'm sure this was not legal where he lives, I've never asked.
If I were going to do the same thing I wouldn't ask!!!
Worst thing they would probably do is make you divert it to septic tank or sewer.

THANX RICH

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our house is rigged for our gray water to filter over the hill instead of filling up the septic. Everything is just plumbed separately. I'm sure ours isn't done to code. Not much in this old farmhouse is... :p

However, as I understand it, a properly done gray water system will filter through some medium, such as gravel.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've watched this episode a couple of times last year. It describes using a washing machine (30 to 50 gallons/cycle!). It looks real simple and very inexpensive for that San Francisco gardener and starts right after the info on irrigation timers:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2LF_ytZYHY[/youtube]

Here is a little more from This Old House on setting up a complete household system that may pay for itself in 10 years "Even in code-happy California, where a system might run you close to $7,000!"

Water the Lawn With Your Saturday Night Bath

Hope that helps a little. (BTW - I had DW watch the part with the toilet/sink combo but she made a pretty seriously ugly face :/.)

Steve

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I saw another system that we are incorporating into our own house plans. It recovers the wasted water from sinks and tubs etc while waiting for the water to get hot. It's simply a seperate drain that directs the water into a holding tank instead of down the main drain. I can't bring myself to using a graywater system because it would only take one accidental bleaching to have catastrophic results.

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Digits, I saw that episode! That's what got me thinking about it. I liked how they had a diverter so you could have it go down the drain, if need be. Sometimes it gets so wet around here in the spring & fall, I'm not sure I'd want to add extra water. DH talked to the health Dept guy when he was here inspecting the septic, and he said it was ok as long as it was really gray water. And it's funny how some things have been around so long, they seem like new ideas. :)

Latest posts