Great herbs at Whole Foods

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have been trying to grow Rosemary without a lot of luck. The other day I was at Whole Food Market and they had herb plants and their rosemary was the best looking plants that I have every seen. I am going to go back and get some when my greenhouse is complete and ready to go. I am going to plant it in there so it should make it from now on.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Rosemary gets tougher each year it gets older. I'd think that at a good sunny place where you are, each year you should be able to wait a bit longer before bringing it in, and take it out a bit earlier too. Same with Lavender.

When these are young plants they are quite tender, but you'll notice as they get older they get woody and tougher. After they are around 5, and good sized, you may even dare to leave them out covered. Make sure you have a replacement one coming along though, just in case.

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
marshallsmyth said:
Rosemary gets tougher each year it gets older. I'd think that at a good sunny place where you are, each year you should be able to wait a bit longer before bringing it in, and take it out a bit earlier too. Same with Lavender.

When these are young plants they are quite tender, but you'll notice as they get older they get woody and tougher. After they are around 5, and good sized, you may even dare to leave them out covered. Make sure you have a replacement one coming along though, just in case.
Actually I was planning on leaving it out. I am going to plant it in my new green house and then if it gets colder I can always cover it in the greenhouse. If it is covered in my greenhouse that should raise my "zone to 7b" which will be ok for rosemary.

nelson castro

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Pruning the rosemary after it has flowered it will tend to take on a much bushier form.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
nelson castro said:
Pruning the rosemary after it has flowered it will tend to take on a much bushier form.
True that.
A while back I posted about my rosemary getting 'leggy' and leaning over. Yall said it would be ok to trim so I did - wow! It doubled in density! Looking great and still growing well.
:D

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Awww - want me to send you some? I'm getting ready to try round 2 of potting rooted cuttings (all but 1 of the dry root disaster died... and that one is looking iffy)

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have not yet signed its death certificate. Roots are still firm.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have to cut my rosemary back hard pretty soon. We can cut it back any time here. It stays warm enough to keep it growing all year. It's taking way too much territory. If anybody wants some for cooking PM me your address.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
canesisters said:
Awww - want me to send you some? I'm getting ready to try round 2 of potting rooted cuttings (all but 1 of the dry root disaster died... and that one is looking iffy)
When rooting rosemary a heel cutting works best. The roots form more readily at the point where the branch meets the main stem. If you aren't familiar with heel cuttings this site explains it well.
http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s998263.htm

Latest posts