Great herbs at Whole Foods

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
"Madalene Hill, a well known herb authority from Round Top, Texas, found a cold-tolerant rosemary in 1972 in Arp, Texas, that is said to be hardy to Washington, D.C. The National Arboretum has given this plant the name R. officinalis 'Arp.' More recently, a sport, or seedling, of 'Arp' has been found and named 'Hill Hardy.'"

Texas A & M (click)

Arp is a part of Tyler Metro Area.

Hill Hardy doesn't look all that easy to find . . .

Steve

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
tinychicken said:
There is a variety called Arp which is very cold tolerant. I have grown it outdoors without any problem. I live in the Pacific Northwest, but my altitude is over 1000 feet, so we do get our share of cold. It is an upright plant with blue flowers. Very attractive (and tasty). It is the only rosemary I have grown since discovering it. :)
Bet that's what I've got. It's blooming with tiny little blue/purple flowers right now. The scent is very strong, just brushing past it will fill the air. And the leaves are a little sticky and will leave a residue on your fingers that requires a little bit of scrubbing to remove - but why would you want to get that lovely smell off of your hands??

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Cane, I am so jealous of your rosemary! I have tried many times to keep it over winter and just can't do it. I will try again though.

nelson castro

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
canesisters said:
nelson castro said:
canesisters said:
True that.
A while back I posted about my rosemary getting 'leggy' and leaning over. Yall said it would be ok to trim so I did - wow! It doubled in density! Looking great and still growing well.
:D
That is indeed a great news. Glad that you did try it. Mind if you share some images with us, it would be very much appreciated.
Not a great picture... but you can see how full she is. She's about 2 1/2' tall now and blooming.
http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/uploads/8721_dscf1171.jpg
WOW!! it surely is blooming very well..

Latest posts