Great Pyrenees Puppy!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@rebbetzin is your Cherokee a clumsy goofball like Trip is? Trip is so big at 6 months, hard to look at him and see a baby. But baby he is--baby Huey!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
For you dog people with huge dogs, I have a question about my little dog. Hope I am not hijacking your thread. Do you use prong collars to train the dogs to not pull when you have then on a leash, or do you train them, go to obedience training, use a choke chain, or what? Just about the only thing negative about my new Penny is that she really pulls hard on the leash, nose to the ground usually. I have been trying to train her with "don't pull" and praise when she stops, etc, but she forgets immediately. I bought a prong collar but haven't taken it out of the package yet, not sure if it is the best answer.
She knows "sit", "get down", "get in your crate", and "come here." So she is no dummy, but she is part beagle, so.....

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't use a choke or prong collar. Trip has not gotten the attention or training from me that he deserves, but is well mannered and behaves fairly well. Parker minds and walks well on a leash.

Both of them are crushed if I scold, so that makes it easy. If Penny minds and behaves well in other areas, but pulls your arm off when on a leash, then break open the prong collar. It is a training tool and I believe you will use it wisely. Being part beagle, she is doing what beagles do. It may take time and patience for her not to pull on the leash.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I believe in prong collars 100 % for dogs that pull. After a week walking her with prong then move down to choke. I have seen it work so many times with dogs that refuse not to pull. Use it make your life easlier, you can always go back to old collar.

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago I pulled out my old prong collar, and used it on Cherokee. It only takes a few times of using that collar and they quit pulling, at least when the prong collar is on. I have harness, the has both top and front rings. The front ring pulls the dog toward you if they pull. Seems to work pretty good. I walk Cherokee to a local park everyday, it is about a 2 mile jaunt. He is great most of the time on a lead, except if we meet up with his dog friends at the park. Then he will pull even with a prong collar! I use the prong collar sparingly, so they don't get used to it.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I took Cee Cee to a dog training class. That's where I first learned about prong collars. While I really hate the idea of using it, Cee Cee does not pull at all when it is on so the leash is loose and dangling between us.

I actually have better luck walking with her using no leash and just verbal instructions than trying a leather collar and a leash. I really do need to work with her more often.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Trip is seven months old today. Took him to the vet to be weighed for his flea and tick pill. He weighed 84 pounds! Gonna be a BIG boy!

Latest posts